UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58793  
Subject: Imagining a Swap Meet for E-Books and Music Date: 3/8/2013 8:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I read used books so I am not casting stones. I just thought this was a very provocative post from one of my favorite authors, Julia Quinn, who wrote this on her Facebook page regarding the NYTimes article (way below):
"There is absolutely no way an author can earn a living with this business model.

I have always supported used book stores. If you buy a physical book, it's yours, and you can do what you want with it. But if you buy a used book, it's not as nice as a new one. And you have to go to a bookstore to get it, or pay shipping, or wait for it to become available. It is, in a word, inconvenient. (Or at the very least, less convenient.)

Buying a "used" e-book, however, gives you the exact same product as a new one, via an almost identical buying experience. The author receives a commission for the first "sale," and then the e-tailer makes money again and again and again, every time the e-book is "traded."

If the plan for used e-book sales goes through, it will be the end of quality writing and reading."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/technology/revolution-in-t...
Imagining a Swap Meet for E-Books and Music
<snip>
In late January, Amazon received a patent to set up an exchange for all sorts of digital material. The retailer would presumably earn a commission on each transaction, and consumers would surely see lower prices.

But a shudder went through publishers and media companies. Those who produce content might see their work devalued, just as they did when Amazon began selling secondhand books 13 years ago. The price on the Internet for many used books these days is a penny.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement