Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HedonistiX Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 222  
Subject: IMHO... Date: 10/24/2001 7:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Author: TMFBogey
Subject: Greetings, Fool!
Date: 10/24/01 2:16 PM

This is the home board for the feature "In My Opinion." Feel free to share your own opinions about anything here.

----------------------------------------------

...since TMFBogey said that it's about anything, let me start:
(1)...we should consider presenting prices of taxable goods and services in tax-inclusive amount so we won't have to deal with pennies.
i.e.: instead of $3.99 (plus 8.5% tax) for a plate of salad why not make it $4.25 or $4.50? sellers will need only to set aside the appropriate percentage for applicable taxes based on total sales turnover and consumers won't ever deal with pennies anymore.

(2)...we should consider switching to metric system.
I originally came from a metric-based country and remember that it was a pain to learn different measurements in school.
i.e.: my dad is 1.83 meters tall, he is ... centimeters tall.
answer: he is 1.83 x 100 = 183 centimeters tall.
I'd pity my future kids if they need to convert 1.83 m (or 183 cm) to feet and inches or vice versa.

(3)...we should consider more vacation days in corporates America.
It would be hard for average Americans to go abroad for vacation due to the average 2-3 weeks/year vacation (only from time aspect not from cost aspect) vis-a-vis we'll see less parts of other worlds compared to our European counterparts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines/080700-02.htm
...Europe's Vacation Season Only A Dream For Most Americans...
...Britta Niehoff is about to join millions of other Europeans on her annual vacation, with the kind of time off and benefits that most Americans can only dream of receiving from their employers. Like a vast number of Europeans, including part-time workers, Niehoff gets six weeks a year, not the measly two to four with which most Americans must be content...
...While Uncle Sam would never dream of telling employers how much vacation time they must give their workers, the European Commission in Brussels decreed last November that the minimum paid vacation period must be four weeks a year in the 15 nations of the European Union. That also applies to part-time employees if they have worked at least 13 weeks. The previous minimum was three weeks, and the new ruling has become law in all member nations...
...Emphasizing that he was speaking personally and not for his employer, Russchen said the shorter American vacation period may be good for entrepreneurship and productivity. "But I think you can be too focused on work," he said. "It's better to have a good rest and recharge your batteries...
..."Americans probably work harder than we do, but maybe they have more social stress, and some of them have two jobs, which in Europe would be almost unthinkable. You Americans have a hard life, but then you have the strongest economy in the world."...

-----------------------------------------------

CHEERS,
--H
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement