UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: op456op Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Move company 401k to IRA Date: 10/8/2012 12:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
IMO, a resounding YES, I would move it. In fact I did, even before I fully retired I moved the vested amount to Scottrade and have had control of the investments in it since. This was on the advice of a Garrett Financial Planner (although not specifically ST, I already had a taxable and ROTH there so I think he thought it would be easier to mange that way.

After I retired a year later I moved the rest of the funds I had contributed that final year.

Since then I moved a large portion of it to Vanguard (the portion that was in VG ETF's to take advantage of the no commission fee on those ETF's). It hasn't made it any more difficult to manage either. I like Vanguard a lot for the ETF's. Most have a corresponding Mutual Fund that mimic each other if you're more comfortable with MF's.

I have no experience w/Fidelity but heard nothing bad and lots of good about them.

Also Charles Schwab has a number of no commission ETF's that have fees even lower than Vanguard, albeit by a small amount, e.g. - 0.01% lower. I think Schwab also has a intro deal that gives you up to $600 for moving your IRA to them. I've seen other offers similar but can't remember who now. I have a taxable account @ Schwab and am very happy with them too.

Scottrade does not reinvest divey's while Schwab does reinvest (even partial shares) at no charge, if that's important to you.

Shop around. Undoubtedly, the fees should be lower than a company 401k, particularly the ETF's at VG and Schwab.

OH, Scottrade also has some free ETF's as well, almost forgot. The no dividend reinvest was the deal breaker for me.

Most important, no matter who you go with, just do a Transfer In Kind so you do not take physical delivery of the funds. Most make it very easy with online forms to do this. Vanguard requires a Medallion Signature Guarantee where as Schwab does this for you.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement