UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 89068  
Subject: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/19/2006 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Improve the Fool Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to the Improve the Fool Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)!
The Improve the Fool folder is designed exclusively for your ideas and suggestions on ways we can improve the Motley Fool service. Is our web page easy or hard to navigate? Is there a special tool that you don't see here that you'd like to see? Have you seen cool stuff on another financial site that you'd like to suggest to us?

We're very interested in making this site a perfect reflection of everything you want and need, so please jot down your ideas here.

We may not be able to answer every single post, but we're reading all of them and will offer updates on improvements often.

I have a few questions on the “Community Boards”.
This is a great place to start:
Community Membership Q&A
http://boards.fool.com/messages.asp?mid=0&bid=115806

How to find Ask a Foolish Question:

If you have a question about the Motley Fool philosophy or an investment strategy, you might try asking at the Ask A Foolish Question (AFQ) discussion board, where trained Fools are waiting to answer any question under the sun. First read through the FAQ, then click on “Post New” if you do not see an answer to your question:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16386802

Questions about the My Fool tab:

Questions about how to use My Fool can be asked at the My Fool message board. First read through the FAQ, then click on “Post New” if you do not see an answer to your question:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16783981

Questions about My Portfolio:

The Fool no longer offers a portfolio tracking service onsite, but our partners over at Yahoo! Finance maintain a free tool for everyone to use: http://finance.yahoo.com/

Logging into the Discussion Boards and My Fool:

For questions on Logging in or out of TMF:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=10874124
Also check out the FAQ for the community discussion boards:
http://www.fool.com/landing/pb/pb_land_b.htm?source=istfoclnk100101

Cookie Questions:

If you'd like to read TMF's opinion of cookies, please click here:
http://www.fool.com/community/login/cookies.htm

How do I send e-mail to another Fool?

If you'd like to send a reply post to a Fool, just click the "E-Mail this Reply to the Author" check box at the bottom of the reply area. If you'd like it to be a private reply, just uncheck the "Post this Reply to the Boards" box. If you would like to send a copy of your reply to someone other than the author of the post you are replying to, simply enter the email address into the “Mail these Addresses Privately” box.

A few points on this:

----If the Fool has you in their penalty box, they will not receive the email.
----Your email address will be transmitted to the poster. If you do not want someone to have your email address, do not use this feature.
----The Fool Rules apply to email transmissions sent via the Fool boards. Do not use the email function to harass another poster.
----If you receive harassing email from the Fool boards, please forward the complete email (intact) to FoolAlert@fool.com

How do I mark a board as All Read?

If you want to mark an individual message board as read, you will need to go to the “Favorites” page. (Click on the Faves:New Messages link on My Fool or Favorites & Replies link on the message boards.) You can now click on the 'Mark Read' link for the board.

You can also go to the individual board and read the final post. Where you see “Number: xxx of yyyyy”, click on the “yyyyy” number.

How do I report Spammers or other objectionable posts?

To bring a post to the attention of the Motley Fool, just hit the Problem Post link, and it will be reviewed. You have the opportunity to add a comment or two to the submission form.

Why are posts pulled? What are the Fool Standards:

Here's where to read up on the Fool Standards everyone agreed to abide by when they registered:
http://www.fool.com/help/foolsrules.htm

What are all of these Lucky Charms that I see next to posters' names? How do I make bold and italic? What else do I need to know?

This link will take you to the bells and whistles of the Fool boards:
http://www.fool.com/community/foolboards/bells.htm
You will also want to visit here for more links to help with the discussion boards:
http://www.fool.com/community/foolboards/ushelp.asp

How do I change the subject of a reply?

If you want to start a new thread title, just use the Post New button. You can still include material from a previous thread by cutting and pasting it into your message.

How do I change my e-mail address?

Click on the My Fool tab and choose modify your private profile, (near the bottom of the page). Click on Change: Email Address, and follow the instructions to change it! If you are receiving any of the free email subscriptions, these will be changed at the same time. Please note that when you change your email address, your account will be deactivated until you click on the link in the confirmation email that will be sent to the new address.

Can I edit/delete a previous post?

You can review and edit a post you are currently writing by using the Preview Reply and Edit Reply buttons, however once submitted, you cannot personally edit or delete the post. If you feel strongly about deleting it, you can click the Problem Post link and send a note to the Community Fools, asking for it to be deleted.

What does the Penalty Box do?

The Penalty Box gives you the option of filtering out the posts of an individual poster. If you would like to ignore the posts of a certain fool, just click on the frowny face on one of their posts or profile. The Penalty Box can be turned on and off in the Customize area.

How do I know if someone is ignoring me?

We actually had this feature at one time and it was viewable only to the individual person. People were a bit disturbed by it and we decided to do away with it. The community spoke :)

How can I tell who loves me? (Favorite Fools)

Enter your user name into the “Author” box (below every message) and click on the “Show me who loves me!” link.

Switching from Threaded to Unthreaded (and back):

Sometimes a particular link in a TMF article will be in threaded mode for clarity. If you find yourself in threaded or unthreaded mode unexpectedly, you change this by clicking on the appropriate link.

Can I use the keyboard to go to the next post instead of my mouse?

Yes, you can! In case you missed the announcement, here is a post that lists the keyboard shortcuts. Please note that this may not work with all browsers.
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=11924327

I want to read TMF offline. I want full search. I want an unlimited supply of recommends. I think trial customers should be able to post to the boards. I want private boards. I want graveyard boards. I want my little blue Fool cap back!

All community suggestions are considered, but for obvious reasons, not all suggestions can be implemented. Please feel free to engage in constructive dialogue about the features that are important to you. From time to time, we may send out surveys, have focus groups, have popup surveys, or use other tools to get feedback from the community. Your participation is much appreciated.

Why is the TMF site so slow?

If you are experiencing delays on Fool.com, first check the little grayed out numbers at the bottom of the page. It should look something like this: 125ms. This number is the time it takes for the TMF servers to return the page. If this number seems reasonable, but you are still experiencing slowness, then you should do a traceroute to see if you can determine where the slow down is occurring. To complete a traceroute:

Traceroute Instructions
-----------------------

(Windows 3.1)

1. Get online
2. Go to the "Main" program group and double-click on the "DOS" icon. A DOS-style window will open.
3. Type "cd C:\TEMP" (without the quotes) and press the ENTER key. The prompt should now look like "C:\TEMP> ".
4. Type "tracert a100.g.akamaitech.net > trace1.txt" (without the quotes) and press ENTER.
5. Wait until the command completes - it will take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute. You will know the traceroute is complete when the command prompt reappears.
6. Type "tracert www.fool.com > trace2.txt" (without the quotes) and press ENTER.
7. Wait until the command completes - it will take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute. You will know the traceroute is complete when the command prompt reappears.
8. Type "exit" and press the ENTER key. The DOS-style window will close.

Navigate to the C:\TEMP directory. You should see two documents called "trace1" and "trace2.txt". Please post a new message and include the information in these documents. If you need any further directions or clarifications, don't hesitate to ask!

(Windows 95 / 98)

1. Get online
2. Go to the Windows "Start" menu and select "Run..."
3. Type "command" and click the "OK" button to bring up a DOS-style window
4. Make sure that the command prompt says "C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP>" If your prompt shows a different directory, type "cd C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP" (without the quotes) and press the ENTER key. The prompt should now be correct.
5. Type "tracert a100.g.akamaitech.net > fooltrace1.txt" (without the quotes) and press ENTER.
6. Wait until the command completes - it will take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute. You will know the traceroute is complete when the command prompt reappears.
7. Type "tracert www.fool.com > fooltrace2.txt" (without the quotes) and press ENTER.
8. Wait until the command completes - it will take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute. You will know the traceroute is complete when the command prompt reappears.
9. Type "exit" and press the ENTER key. The DOS-style window will close.

Somewhere on your Desktop (you may have to minimize all of your open windows), you should see two documents called "Fooltrace1" (or "Fooltrace1.txt") and "Fooltrace2" (or "Fooltrace2.txt") . Please post a new message and include the information in these documents. If you need any further directions or clarifications, don't hesitate to ask!

(Windows NT)

1. Get online
2. Go to the Windows "Start" menu and select "Run..."
3. Type "command" and click the "OK" button to bring up a DOS-style window
4. Write down which directory is indicated by the DOS prompt.
5. Type "tracert a100.g.akamaitech.net > fooltrace1.txt" (without the quotes) and press ENTER.
6. Wait until the command completes - it will take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute. You will know the traceroute is complete when the command prompt reappears.
7. Type "tracert www.fool.com > fooltrace2.txt" (without the quotes) and press ENTER.
8. Wait until the command completes - it will take anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute. You will know the traceroute is complete when the command prompt reappears.
9. Type "exit" and press the ENTER key. The DOS-style window will close.

Go to the directory from step 4. You should see two documents called "Fooltrace1" (or "Fooltrace1.txt") and "Fooltrace2" (or "Fooltrace2.txt") . Please post a new message and include the information in these documents. If you need any further directions or clarifications, don't hesitate to ask!

Red Hat Linux

1. Get online.
2. Open an x-term window or get a command line interface (Control-Alt-PF1, for example).
3. Type: "/usr/sbin/traceroute a100.g.akamaitech.net" (without the quotes) at the prompt (you need not be super-user).
4. The results will appear in the window.
5. Type "/usr/sbin/traceroute boards.fool.com" (without the quotes) at the prompt.
6. The results will appear in the window.

Mac OS X

1. Open the Utilities Folder in the Applications Folder.
2. Open Network Utility.
3. Click on the "Traceroute" tab.
4. In the space available, type "a100.g.akamaitech.net" and click trace
5. The results will appear in the space below.

Mac OS other

Please see a few of the download options available:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16797784
Also: www.neon.com
OTTool Supports Mac OS X!
OTTool, our freeware IP and AppleTalk utility, now has support for Mac OS X, in addition to Classic Mac OS! OTTool makes DNS queries, pings devices, traceroutes and scans ranges of IP addresses. OTTool is a free download.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70657 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/19/2006 12:52 PM
Recommendations: 0
Good resource, Twitty.

One suggestion to Improve the Improve the Fool FAQ is when you refer to posts getting pulled, you might also include something about the proper place to discuss pulled posts is the Censorship Board.

dsbrady

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70658 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/19/2006 1:14 PM
Recommendations: 14

Good resource, Twitty.

Good Stuff....

but THE "Frequently Asked" at this board are the suggestions that come up regularly ..

would be [more] useful if there were a list of top-ten most requested things and what's happening with them/why they can't be implemented.

eg,
1) take PA off the Best-of list....
no. those fools would just take over a different board

2) take RMBS off the Best-of list....
no. that's good stuff there (just irrelevant to most of you)

3) why can't we have more recs? vacation recs?
because

4) fewer recs? NO recs?
see #3

• &c

( pointer to Censorship Board for "Why the [bleep] was my post pulled?" also a good idea )

-

Author: Kelles Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70659 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/19/2006 1:40 PM
Recommendations: 3
I wish I could rec that a tons of times but...

oh well

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70660 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/19/2006 2:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks Scott. Most of that was written by a previous staffer. I just removed and modified some obsolete information. Hopefully the link under the FAQ will be noticed.

Richard

Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70664 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/19/2006 10:50 PM

If you are experiencing delays on Fool.com, first check the little grayed out numbers at the bottom of the page. It should look something like this: 125ms. This number is the time it takes for the TMF servers to return the page. If this number seems reasonable, but you are still experiencing slowness, then you should do a traceroute to see if you can determine where the slow down is occurring. To complete a traceroute:

Hi Richard, ALL!

As one of the computer-challenged oldsters among the Fool Community, can someone please tell me how I would know if a given number is "reasonable".....heck, I don't even know what the number represents! ;-)

When I printed out your post for future reference regarding how to traceroute ( since I have been experiencing TONS of slowness on Fool.com for some time now, it seemed I might try it, whatever it is ) , at the very bottom of what I printed out was "32ms USEQWeb11 " ( couldn't actually see this on the screen/monitor "at the bottom of the page"). Is 32ms "reasonable"? Should I try the Traceroute Instructions? If so, which one....I didn't see one for Windows XP.....just 3.1,95/98 and NT.

BTW, the computer is a brand new mid-range Dell ( Windows XP ), and had no speed problems at Fool.com until recently ( Fool.com website changes/corporate move )...and doesn't have the speed problems elsewhere.

On a completely different note, great job on the rest of the FAQ!

Awaiting the help of computer smart Fools!

Cheers!
Murph
( who is a complete computer neophyte )

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70665 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 8:03 AM
When I printed out your post for future reference regarding how to traceroute ( since I have been experiencing TONS of slowness on Fool.com for some time now, it seemed I might try it, whatever it is ) , at the very bottom of what I printed out was "32ms USEQWeb11 " ( couldn't actually see this on the screen/monitor "at the bottom of the page"). Is 32ms "reasonable"? Should I try the Traceroute Instructions? If so, which one....I didn't see one for Windows XP.....just 3.1,95/98 and NT.

Hi Murph,

That text is hidden until you drag your mouse over it and highlight it (lower left corner.) 32ms means 32 milliseconds, which is just fine (32 thousandths of a second.) The rest of it is the server number. The traceroute instructions are the same for XP, it just wasn't around when that FAQ was first written and I didn't catch it :)

Cheers,
Richard

Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70666 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 10:47 AM
Thanks much, Richard!

Cross your fingers as I try my very first traceroute! ;-)

Cheers!
Murph

Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70667 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 1:19 PM
Hi Richard!

With a bit more help from the "Help With This Stupid Computer" board, I successfully created a TEMP file and followed your instructions ( I hope ).

Here is what is on the two trace files

Trace 1 :

Tracing route to a100.g.akamaitech.net [63.111.71.125]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms 73.30.168.1

2 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 68.86.144.253

3 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 10g-8-2-ar01.charleston.sc.chrlstn.comcast.net [68.86.144.89]

4 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms 68.86.144.26

5 * 17 ms 44 ms 12.117.176.53

6 23 ms 35 ms 25 ms tbr1-p013701.attga.ip.att.net [12.123.20.170]

7 17 ms 18 ms 16 ms ggr2-ge00.attga.ip.att.net [12.123.20.201]

8 17 ms 18 ms 17 ms 0.so-3-1-0.BR1.ATL4.ALTER.NET [204.255.169.73]

9 17 ms 17 ms 29 ms 0.so-2-2-0.XL2.ATL4.ALTER.NET [152.63.86.174]

10 18 ms 17 ms 26 ms 0.so-7-0-0.XL2.ATL5.ALTER.NET [152.63.86.110]

11 19 ms 19 ms 18 ms 0.so-7-0-0.XR2.ATL5.ALTER.NET [152.63.85.194]

12 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 192.at-5-0-0.WR2.ATL5.ALTER.NET [152.63.86.221]

13 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms pos5-0.ur2.atl7.web.wcom.net [157.130.80.18]

14 22 ms 17 ms 17 ms 198.5.128.138

15 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms 63.111.71.125

Trace complete.

Trace 2:

Tracing route to www.fool.com [64.94.26.1]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 13 ms 5 ms 73.30.168.1

2 6 ms 10 ms 5 ms 68.86.144.241

3 7 ms 5 ms 7 ms 10g-9-4-ar02.charleston.sc.chrlstn.comcast.net [68.86.144.85]

4 5 ms 5 ms 6 ms 68.86.144.30

5 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms 12.117.176.53

6 35 ms 36 ms 36 ms tbr1-p013701.attga.ip.att.net [12.123.20.170]

7 39 ms 35 ms 36 ms tbr2-cl17.wswdc.ip.att.net [12.122.10.69]

8 34 ms 36 ms 40 ms gar1-p3100.ascva.ip.att.net [12.123.8.61]

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 34 ms 33 ms 33 ms border7.ge1-1-bbnet1.wdc002.pnap.net [216.52.127.33]

11 * 35 ms 33 ms motley-12.border7.wdc002.pnap.net [72.5.148.234]

12 42 ms 35 ms 34 ms www.fool.com [64.94.26.1]

Trace complete.

Now what?

Cheers!
Murph
( who has absolutely NO idea what he's doing...but hope it works to help get at the speed issue )

Author: hokieharry Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70668 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 3:01 PM
That text is hidden until you drag your mouse over it and highlight it (lower left corner.)

I can barly read it before highlighting it.

So "48ms USEQWeb13" must indicate very good speed from Charter.net.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70669 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 3:14 PM
Hi Murph,

Traceroute won't help you increase the speed of browsing, as you have no control over the routers that it's timing. Within the realm of things that you can do that *might* help would be to clean out your Internet cache and perhaps try a different browser. Firefox and Mozilla are pretty crisp browsers. Firefox is the lighter of the 2. You can download them at www.mozilla.org.

HTH,
Bob

Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70670 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 3:34 PM

Traceroute won't help you increase the speed of browsing, as you have no control over the routers that it's timing. Within the realm of things that you can do that *might* help would be to clean out your Internet cache and perhaps try a different browser. Firefox and Mozilla are pretty crisp browsers. Firefox is the lighter of the 2. You can download them at www.mozilla.org.

Thanks much, BOB!

By "cleaning out my Internet cache" , do you mean deleting internet temporary files and cookies via "Tools >Internet Options " ?

And what are the computer/user implications of using a different browser?

Thanks again ( told you I don't know squat about 'puters )! ;-)
Murph
( who already religiously sweeps for adware via Lavasoft and other junk via MacAfee )

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70671 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 3:54 PM
By "cleaning out my Internet cache" , do you mean deleting Internet temporary files and cookies via "Tools >Internet Options " ?

Mostly files (including offline content when asked.) If you clean out cookies, you'll have to logon to every site that uses cookies to store your user info. If you have a broadband connection, I'd also click on the Settings button in the Temporary Internet Files section and change the settings there to check for a newer version of stored pages on every visit to the page and set the amount of disk space to use for same to 1 MB, the lowest setting possible. In the History section, I usually set number of days to keep pages in history to 0. Also and under the Advanced button, in the Security section, put a check mark in Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser closes.

And what are the computer/user implications of using a different browser?

You shouldn't have any problems using either of these browsers, though there are some plugins and extensions you may wish to add for more functionality. You can still use IE any time you want and neither of the browsers should affect your computer.

The HWTSC board can help you with any problems you may cross and you might want to post further questions you may have there. It's probably a better forum for further discussion of these particular matters than the Improve the Fool board.

Regards,
Bob

Author: gridert Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70672 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/20/2006 4:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
So "48ms USEQWeb13" must indicate very good speed from Charter.net.

As I remember the 48ms is how long it took the TMF servers to render the page. If this number is long (which this isn't) then the problem is on the TMF side of things. If the number is short (which this IS), and the page takes a long time to display, then the problem is either in the transfer to your computer of the page and all its pieces and parts, or a problem on your computer.

Author: XXFDawn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70708 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/22/2006 9:55 PM
Twitty,

Thanks Scott. Most of that was written by a previous staffer. I just removed and modified some obsolete information. Hopefully the link under the FAQ will be noticed.

I was just wondering if I should flag it for copywrite issues. <grin>

Dawn

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70721 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/23/2006 11:06 AM
Recommendations: 2

<snort>Work for hire and all that, we gots the copyright, neener neener :D

Richard

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70739 of 89068
Subject: Re: Improve the Fool FAQ Date: 6/23/2006 5:38 PM

<grinning>
Thanks for the good work on the FAQ, Dawn.

--Peter

PS - that's copyright (they have the right to make copies, not that they have to write the copies)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement