Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eachna Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Taxes between 2 paychecks Date: 1/25/2002 7:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In a roundabout way, I have some tax advice, since taking it will make your laudable goal a little easier: move beyond keeping accounts on each other. For example, why not base your allowances on your needs rather than your incomes? You'll really find this task of minimizing prepayments easier if you think in terms of "ours" rather than "his and hers."

As simple as that suggestion sounds, it just does *not* work for us. We have some different interests and hobbies, and we have *very* different spending patterns.

We *don't* keep accounts on each other's personal spending -- and the allowances are the primary reason why. I watch the communal household spending very closely because my hubby is something of a spending addict, but, he's free to do whatever he wants with his allowance.

Basing the allowances on earnings really seems the most fair and friendly way to do it between us. It's very difficult to balance "needs" when they're really "wants" (which is the purpose our allowances fulfill). Do I "want" to have my hair colored 'more' than he "wants" a new memory card for his Lyra?

Things we do "together" are paid for out of the communal account and are based on sharing and compromise. It's only spending on things we want for ourselves as individuals that the allowance is allocated for.

I realize that the suggestion was friendly and certainly I appreciate the thought that went into it.

Gwen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement