Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In addition to your regular income tax you'll have to pay about 15% in sE taxes. Last year that extra burden came in the last quarter (after Sept 1) so,l presuming you were on salary befor and your income is about the same level now as when on salary, it would behoove you to use the annualized Income method to reduce the penalty for underpayment you will undoubetedly get. Any tax prep software will do this for you as you prepare your return. For this year (2008) your income and taxes will be much higher than last year (because of the 15% SE tax) so probably paying 1/4 of your 2007 taxes each quarter with a 1040ES will be your best bet.

If your salary was more than your SE pay rate the above may not be accurate, and paying 1/4 of last year's tax more than necessary. In that case using the Annualized Income method is the surest wasy to calculate the correct installments and avoid a penalty.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.