Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
In an April 10, 2000 article by TMF AnnC concering Roth IRA's for kids, she stated that children who work for their parents' business are exempt from self employment tax.

Either you or she mistyped. All employees are exempt from self-employment tax. They pay only Social Security and Medicare. The self-employed pay self-employment tax, which is the equivalent of SS and M'care. (Publication 533)

Children under 18 working in a parent's business as employees are exempt from Social Security and Medicare. (Publication 15)

IRA contributions can exceed your taxable compensation. "Taxable compensation" includes wages exempt from SS and M'care. (Publication 590)

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.