Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a legal permanent resident in the U.S. I came here from Europe and I have unpaid student loan debt in my home country.
I've received collection notices from them, and most recently from a collection company here in the U.S.
This debt, however, does not show on my credit report here in the U.S. My credit score is 855 and I have no negative information there.
My husband and I are barely scraping by (have been for the past couple of years after buying our first home); trying to keep up with our mortgage and his ginormous student loans. I am determined not to default on any of our loans in the U.S. and therefore, I have decided not to pay back my loan in my home country.
So my question is, can the collection agency garnish my wages etc. to pay for debt in another country? And can they report my debt to the 3 credit bureaus here in the U.S?
If anyone knows of a better suited topic/board to post this message under, please advice.
Thank you.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.