Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121160  
Subject: Re: InvClub Partnership Distributions Date: 2/10/2006 10:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
In early 2005 I withdrew from an investment club partnership. I have my 2005 K-1 form which includes my share of capital gains and dividends for 2005 plus my gross withdrawal distribution on line 19.
The club invested in cash and stocks only. My withdrawal distribution was in cash for about $10,000 of which about $3000 was gain over the years in the club.

I understand that I report the distribution gain on Capital Gains Form D but I'm not sure where to report it on the form or what figures to report-Gross, Gain only or both. The club did not issue a form 1099, but does provide a Withdrawal Distribution Report which shows the gross distribution, basis and gain. Should this be submitted with Form D or do I just have it available if needed later. Are any other forms required?

Here's what you do. You report all of the income/gain/expense items shown on your K-1 in boxes 4-18 on the appropriate lines/forms of you tax return. Include the amounts in box 20, if you have margin interest to report (from the club or from other investments). You can ignore the entries in box 19. If they were completed correctly (and not all club accounting software does it correctly), these numbers are the club's adjusted cost basis in your withdrawal amount, a concept that is meaningless with regard to what you report.

Finally, you must report your gain/loss on withdrawal from the club. You get this information from your withdrawal report. You report this on Schedule D as a long-term gain/loss. Your purchase date is the date you joined the club, your sale date is your withdrawal date. Your cost is the adjusted tax basis shown on the withdrawal report. The "sales proceeds" is the net withdrawal amount. The difference is the gain/loss you recognize for tax purposes.

Ira
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement