UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 176761  
Subject: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 1:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 185
Just rcvd this via EMail from an acquaintance of mine. Thought it was worth posting...

-----Original Message-----

I just wanted to drop you all a note and let you know that I arrived safe and sound into Dulles Airport tonight at about 6:00. It was an interesting flight. The airport in Denver was almost spooky, it was so empty and quiet.

No one was in line for the security check point when I got there so that went fairly quickly, just x-ray of my bags and then a chemical test to be sure nothing explosive was on them. Then I waited 2 ½ hours to board the plane. What happened after we boarded was interesting and thought I would share it with you. The pilot/captain came on the loudspeaker after the doors were closed.

His speech went like this: First I want to thank you for being brave enough to fly today. The doors are now closed and we have no help from the outside for any problems that might occur inside this plane. As you could tell when you checked in, the government has made some changes to increase security in the airports. They have not, however, made any rules about what happens after those doors close. Until they do that, we have made our own rules and I want to share them with you. Once those doors close, we only have each other. The security has taken care of a threat like guns with all of the increased scanning, etc. Then we have the supposed bomb. If you have a bomb, there is no need to tell me about it, or anyone else on this plane; you are already in control. So, for this flight, there are no bombs that exist on this plane. Now, the threats that are left are things like plastics, wood, knives, and other weapons that can be made or things like that which can be used as weapons. Here is our plan and our rules. If someone or several people stand up and say they are hijacking this plane, I want you all to stand up together. Then take whatever you have available to you and throw it at them. Throw it at their faces and heads so they will have to raise their hands to protect themselves. The very best protection you have against knives are the pillows and blankets. Whoever is close to these people should then try to get a blanket over their head-then they won't be able to see. Once that is done, get them down and keep them there. Do not let them up. I will then land the plane at the closest place and we WILL take care of them. After all, there are usually only a few of them and we are 200+ strong! We will not allow them to take over this plane. I find it interesting that the US Constitution begins with the words "We, the people", that's who we are, THE people and we will not be defeated.

With that, the passengers on the plane all began to applaud, people had tears in their eyes, and we began the trip toward the runway. The flight attendant then began the safety speech. One of the things she said is that we are all so busy and live our lives at such a fast pace. She asked that everyone turn to their neighbors on either side and introduce themselves, tell each other something about your families and children, show pictures, whatever. She said "for today, we consider you family. We will treat you as such and ask that you do the same with us." Throughout the flight we learned that for the crew, this was their first flight since Tuesday's tragedies. It was a day that everyone leaned on each other and together everyone was stronger than any one person alone. It was quite an experience. You can imagine the feeling when that plane touched down at Dulles and we heard "welcome to Washington Dulles Airport, where the local time is 5:40". Again, the cabin was filled with applause.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fool4Golf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5375 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 1:39 PM
Recommendations: 3
Let this PROUD sinner be the first to 'rec' this post!

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5384 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 2:10 PM
Recommendations: 0
That was great. Thank you for posting it. I have now forwarded it to everyone I know.

elizabeth

Author: Puppyleader Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5386 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 2:13 PM
Thanks for the posting. I too plan to email to many.

Talk about a take charge attitude---great!!

Loisirene

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5388 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 2:20 PM
Hey, PL, I've gotten a couple requests for the airline and flight number (you know reporters). Could you possibly retrieve that information? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

elizabeth

Author: Puppyleader Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5419 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 4:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hey Elizabeth,

Is this what you want:

American Airlines Flight 11 Boston to L.A.
United Airlines Flight 175 Boston to L.A.
United Flight 93 Newark to San Francisco
American Flight 77 Washington Dulles' to L.A. ?

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5429 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 4:50 PM
Sorry. I responded to your privately without realizing that you were not the original poster. PoodleLover might not forgive me for mixing up that ID with Puppyleader.

I'm simply looking for the flight numer & name of airline that this in-flight procedure happened on. I'm not saying it's not true, but if your mother says she loves you, check it out. And I'd like to pass this on as fact.

elizabeth

Author: nuts11times One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5456 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 5:50 PM
Thank-you ....

I will now board my plane...........

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5458 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 5:51 PM
Recommendations: 22
PoodleLover: If someone or several people stand up and say they are hijacking this plane, I want you all to stand up together. Then
take whatever you have available to you and throw it at them.

I am supportive of a vigilant America and public. I wonder two things though. I wonder how the person memorized a 370 word speech. Secondly, I wonder if the terrorists weren't more inventive than that, and that the pilot could be endangering guests.

For instance, who's to say that the terrorists simply stood up and said "excuse me ladies and gentlemen, but my colleagues and I have a knife or two here and we're taking over."

No, I doubt that anyone stood up and said "We're hijacking this plane." Instead, what I imagine happened, was that someone merely walked into the cockpit and slit the pilots throat, while a few, real "courageous" men as one poster suggested on here, grabbed some children and held a knife to their throats and said "anyone move, and I pull this kids tongue out his throat and give him a Cuban necktie."

It's fun to imagine heroic situations where everything goes your way but I doubt the captain knew what he was talking about. The terrorists likely did much more than to merely stand there holding a knife up in the air. They in all likelyhood slit several throats, and then took ahold of the most innocent and vulnerable passengers they could and held knife points on their hearts and just dared someone to throw anything at him.

You gotta use a little more sense than that. If it were as simple as flinging a pair of socks at the guys, I think we'd of had more than one plane that missed it's target. Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to charge an individual, just after wrapping my forearm(s) with my shirt to keep from getting slashed too badly before I knocked him to the floor. But if he was holding an infant up and some mother was screaming "No, not my BABY!" and was begging the other passengers not to compromise the infants life...I surely would probably not have the coldness in me to try to take the guy out at the expense of the child. Would you?

We're talking about people with the backbone of snakes with no bravery or courage whatsoever, who are willing to commit any and all crimes towards their ends. It takes no guts to kill children and unarmed people. These people are murderers plain and simple, and NOT foreign policy makers to be negotiated with.

Paul T.

Author: Fool4Golf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5473 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 6:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
Look, tpault, even if the original poster had begun with "Once upon a time..." I still would have rec'ed it.

Author: EJWaits Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5477 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 6:41 PM
Recommendations: 6
You gotta use a little more sense than that. If it were as simple as flinging a pair of socks at the guys, I think we'd of had more than one plane that missed it's target. Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to charge an individual, just after wrapping my forearm(s) with my shirt to keep from getting slashed too badly before I knocked him to the floor. But if he was holding an infant up and some mother was screaming "No, not my BABY!" and was begging the other passengers not to compromise the infants life...I surely would probably not have the coldness in me to try to take the guy out at the expense of the child. Would you?

I think the landscape of hijacking has changed a bit in the last few days. I daresay there are plenty of folks who would react much differently now than they would have on the morning of September 11. We don't know exactly what happened inside those 4 airliners that morning, and we never will know the whole story. What we do know is that on Flight 93, the passengers had some inkling of what lie ahead for them, and they decided they had nothing to lose by trying to retake the aircraft. They were common people acting in an uncommon way--that's what makes true heroes. They had nothing to lose, and their actions may well have saved hundreds more victims if that plane had found its intended target. The rules change when you have more information. One pilot I heard interviewed stated that the old rules were that in a hijacking situation the plan was to cooperate until you could get the plane safely on the ground. That plan must change when the presumed intended result of the hijacking is death to the plane, passengers and as many on the ground as possible.

We're talking about people with the backbone of snakes with no bravery or courage whatsoever, who are willing to commit any and all crimes towards their ends. It takes no guts to kill children and unarmed people. These people are murderers plain and simple, and NOT foreign policy makers to be negotiated with.

These hijackers had plenty of backbone and courage... they knew exactly where they were going and how it would end if they were to succeed. But the people with real courage were those who took whatever action they could to try to stop the intended result. Unfortunately for those on Flight 93, they were unable to save themselves, but it appears they made a valiant effort, and in losing their own lives, at least some of them spared countless others. They are heroes.

PRAY FOR THE WORLD...

EJWaits

Author: UKBankerBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5482 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 7:30 PM
Recommendations: 7
Look, tpault, even if the original poster had begun with "Once upon a time..." I still would have rec'ed it.

But the original poster didn't, thus lending credence to the story. This thing will float around the web for years with people believing it. They should change the name to the World Wide Rumor Mill.

UKBB <anyone know where I can get a $200 cookie recipe?>

Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5489 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 8:23 PM
Hey, PL, I've gotten a couple requests for the airline and flight number (you know reporters). Could you possibly retrieve that information? I would appreciate it. Thanks.
~~~
WOW! I really am surprised by the responses to this post... All that I can tell you people is that what you've read is basicly how I got it. I have no other information re: the post. I'll post more if/when I get it.

Seymore...ß² . {-:

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5496 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 9:25 PM
EJWaits: These hijackers had plenty of backbone and courage. Unfortunately for those on Flight 93, they were unable to save themselves, but it appears they made a valiant effort, and in losing their own lives, at least some of them spared countless others.

We can argue semantics all day long. The definition of courage in the Oxford American dictionary is: ability to disregard fear, bravery.

The definition in the same dictionary for valiant is: brave, courageous.

So unless you are trying to play word games, then by your own words you are also calling the hijackers valiant.

Suicide may take the ability to overcome a certain amount of fear, but courageous, brave and valiant are words best reserved for the righteous, lest we detract from the virtues of being those things. imo.

Paul T.

Author: rcorrado Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5502 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 9:48 PM
Recommendations: 16
The email has been plagarized from the Washington Times:

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/20010919-6357240.htm

The author is Peter Hannaford, the flight in question is United Flt. 564 (equipment is a B777).

--
Rich

Author: siren1957 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5533 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/19/2001 11:38 PM
Why do you think this was plagerized? It appears that Poodle Lover's friend was on this flight. Geez!

By the way rcorrado..thanks for the link to the article..do appreciate it.

Author: robeb Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5561 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/20/2001 4:11 AM
My mom works for United so I get to fly *a lot* but I haven't since the 11th. I'm use flying standards the way it *use* to be. That was a really informative email. Thanks for posting that!

robeb

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5590 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/20/2001 8:53 AM
...But if he was holding an infant up and some mother was screaming "No, not my BABY!" and was begging the other passengers not to compromise the infants life...I surely would probably not have the coldness in me to try to take the guy out at the expense of the child....

Under their rules of engagement(ROEs), the kid is dead anyway.

Tigerman

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5618 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/20/2001 10:18 AM
But if he was holding an infant up and some mother was screaming "No, not my BABY!" and was begging the other passengers not to compromise the infants life...I surely would probably not have the coldness in me to try to take the guy out at the expense of the child. Would you?

Considering what I know now about hijacked planes and terrorist attacks -- yes, I would. And I have four kids, so I know how that mother would feel.

phantomdiver

Author: trismus Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6551 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/23/2001 5:47 PM
Someones taking it serious,

http://news.airwise.com/display/story.html?name=2001/09/1001247568.html

Regards

Tony

Author: PoodleLover Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6567 of 176761
Subject: Re: In-Flight Procedures... Date: 9/23/2001 7:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
Someones taking it serious,

http://news.airwise.com/display/story.html?name=2001/09/1001247568.html

~~~
Oh Geeeezzzz... I'd call the FBI damn lame in this case. Isn't he/she the "PILOT"? Is not the "PILOT" supposed to be in control of "HIS/HER" aircraft? I think the "PILOT" did right in this instance! Well, for the record, I would have done exactly what the people on the PA plane did... and I would do it again, and again, and...

And, as was said in a very popular movie...
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
Mr Spock

Seymore...®™ . {-:

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement