No. of Recommendations: 1
In general, it pays for a married woman who will eventually collect social security on her husband's record sometime in the future (a safe bet when he is 16 years older)to collect on her record as soon as practible. If you retire before age 62 you should collect SS then, if you retire between 62 and 66 you should collect when you retire. Otherwise you should start collecting then.

If your social security earnings are more than 25% higher inflation adjusted than your husband's record it may pay to delay drawing on your social security as then you might still be collecting on your own record after your husband's demise.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.