Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
In his final year 2003-2004 of college we paid some college bills in 2003 and the rest in 2004. He is employed full time now ,since May, and makes about $10.50/hour. What are the rules, can I still claim him as a dependent on my tax return or not?

I'm going to assume here that he was a full-time student through at least May. The question is who paid more than half his support for the entire year. You cannot include expenses paid in 2003.

Is there an income level for him that dictates that I not claim him anymore?

Yes, and for 2005 and after (we can hope) he exceeds it. As long as he was a full-time student in at least five calendar months of 2004, the income limit doesn't apply.

If you are unmarried, he can still qualify you for Head of Household filing status as long as he lives with you and remains unmarried, even if you can't claim him as a dependent (2005 and after).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.