Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[In March 98, I converted all my mutual funds traditional IRAs to Roth
($10,974.67). ]]


[[In December I recharacterized one poorly performing mutual
fund account back to a traditional IRA and one week later reconverted back to
a Roth (capitalizing on the tax break loophole, new converted total should be
$9,822.64). I just received two 1099-R forms from my mutual fund company
and I'm totally confused!]]

I'm not surprised. It's going to be confusing for many people. And it'll mean MUCH MORE income for tax preparers this year.

[[ First 1099-R indicates a gross distribution and taxable
amount of $17,525.30 with a distribution code of 2. Second 1099-R indicates a
gross distribution of $6,519.99 with a taxable amount of 0. Distribution code of
G. What figures should I use on lines 15 and 16 on 1040 form and which figures
on my 8606.]]

That's part of the problem. The 1099R forms are going to be a BIG MESS. And without knowing EXACTLLY what transactions took place, I can't really help you complete the form. I would suggest that you go through and UNDERSTAND the underlying law with respect to the recharacteriaztion issues. You can read more about the recharacterization isues in one of my post in the Taxes FAQ area. I would suggest that you check it out.

But before you even GET to lines 15 and lines 16, you'll want to pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to Line 14b of Form 8606. If you understand the law, and the instructions for line 14b, you should be able to construct the proper amount to report as a recharacterization on line 14b, which will make the form work out.

[[ My calculations are that I should only have $2497.64 of taxable income to
include on line 15b of 1040. My turbo tax is giving me something completely
different. Thanks you any assistance you can provide.]]

Go the the IRS web site and get form 8606 and the instructions. Read 'em, and produce the Form 8606 by hand. Then you'll know how the form should work, and how it should look (again, pay particular attention to line 14b). Then you can goof around with Turbo Tax to make it come out right.

If you are comfortable with your answer, you now have the give Turbo Tax the information to complete the form correctly.

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. It'll help you with your 1998 taxes, and it's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.