UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308369  
Subject: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/17/2001 9:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 546
Dear Fools,

It's with very deep sorrow and regret that I'm posting this to let the Fool Community know we have received news of the passing of one of our truly great and admired members, JABoa.

Jim was a very prolific poster here on our boards for as long as I can remember, a Fool whom I felt I knew personally through many online conversations and emails.

Jim's sudden passing due to a heart attack will leave a very great void here in our forum, as he has touched so many here. Anyone who's frequented the Credit Card board, Living Below Your Means, Buying a Home, Land of Off-Topic posts and many others, has undoubtedly been enriched from the interactions with this fine man. His knowledge, personality, humor, and good nature was the embodiment of Foolishness.

It was always apparant that Jim much enjoyed the give and take here on our boards, and he was always a highly respected voice of reason, and his mastery of mathematics helped countless people with problems and questions on a wide variety of topics.

The news of Jim's passing has hit me hard today, as I know it will so many others here. While I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim personally, his friendship was one I highly valued, for he was truly a role model to so many.

To Jim's family, I extend to you my deepest sympathies and condolences, and may you find comfort in knowing that he has touched so many lives.

Jim, you will be missed.

Tony

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71417 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/17/2001 9:50 PM
Recommendations: 4
To Jim's family, I extend to you my deepest sympathies and condolences, and may you find comfort in knowing that he has touched so many lives.

Indeed he has. I learned so much from him. He was always patient and ready to help others. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Deannda

Author: neofool22 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71420 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/17/2001 10:42 PM
Many thanks for posting this to the Martini Club Aruba. I wish I had known Mr. Boa far better than I did.

Endless Peace, Happiness and Boat Drinks to ya Jim.

Author: HopsMaltYeast Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71421 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/17/2001 10:59 PM
Recommendations: 11
Tony,

Thank you for posting what most be very hurtful news to you.

Jim will be missed.

I have enjoyed both his technical posts and very personal and incitant posts on many TMF boards. His infinite humor and intelligence will be missed. I thank him again for the marvelous books he recommended.

I was looking forward to meeting JABoa in the flesh this July for a meal and to "quaff a few" in his words in Boston. I'd planned to meet him during a trip up there for my niece's wedding in July.

This is so very sad. But I know there is a new star in the heavens tonight. JABoa.

Sweet dreams Jim.

Hops

Author: ScubaSimpleton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71422 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/17/2001 11:04 PM
Recommendations: 5
Jim was a friend to some of us beyond these boards.

He was an even kinder and more considerate person, "in private."

He will be missed. Vurrrrry much.

Author: WonderPup Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71424 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/17/2001 11:30 PM
Recommendations: 59
A few months ago, I was to attend a training course in Boston. Jim had invited me to go out with a group of the Boston Fools while I was there. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the course and never made it out there. I am deeply saddened I didn't get to meet Jim in person--I had looked forward to it.

One of his idiosyncracies is that Jim never did figure out how to cut and paste links into his posts, so he always referred to them by post number and board name.

There was a discussion a while back on the Heretics board about recs, and how it seemed like one's best writing never attracted as many recs as they should, while other, more frivelous posts would garner many.

In that thread, he mentioned 2 posts of his that got few recs, but were his favorite posts. In his own words:

Hops asks if I can link my favorite messages (by me). I am not that techno-savvy (AOL is unfriendly to cut and paste). But one is Buying a Home #1088, where I tell about the pain and suffering of a first time home buyer caught in the maw of an unfeeling system. The other is Lyrics/Puns #103, a poem about a specific type of inadequacy on my part that, unlike almost all my poems, was not a parody.

So, as my final gift to Jim, here are real live links to your favorite posts:

Buying a Home #1088: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=10228965
Lyrics/Puns #103: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=10361829

The last one brought tears to my eyes. How sadly appropriate.

Rest in Peace, JABoa.

--WonderPup

Author: LydiaVorst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71427 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 12:11 AM
Recommendations: 7
It shocked me to see the title of TMF2Aruba's post tonight. Like others in this thread, I was very much looking forward to meeting Jim in person in Boston this summer. Because I'm originally from Beantown, I always got a special kick from Jim's decidely Bostonian tone.

He was so vibrant and alive on the boards, talented, witty, helpful, extremely intelligent, and so much more. JABoa made me think. I cherish having "known" him through the boards and e-mail.

My deepest condolences to Jim's family and friends,

Lydia Vorsteveld

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71440 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 9:11 AM
Recommendations: 11
Greetings, JABoa was a poster I deeply admired for his dry wit and his dazzling command of mathematics. I had him in mind just last night because I was thinking of contacting him to see if he could answer a question about compounding interest.

This is truly an amazing medium - it matters not at all that I never met him. His posts alone were enough for me to miss him already and I am glad I can post this because of how many others whom I happen to have never met feel just the way I feel. I am grateful for these boards at The Motley Fool which I feel have extended my circle of friends just as if I have met everyone face-to-face. Thanks, JABoa, for all of your incisive contributions and thanks, Tony, for letting us all know. Sure hope his loved ones learn how loved he was here, too.

xraymd

Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71443 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 9:30 AM
I did not have the opportunity to meet JABoa personally but I, like many others here, am very sorrowed to hear of his passing.

He was a gentle, witty, intelligent spirit on these boards and truly the personification of Foolish values.

Go gently into that good night, Jim. I shall miss you.

My heartfelt condolences & deepest sympathies go out to Jim's family & friends. I hope you find some comfort in the knowledge that he was loved by & helped so many people here.

Laura

Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71447 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 9:50 AM
Recommendations: 9
With all that I learned from JABoa, I feel the need to give something back. Is there a charity that the family has designated for donations in his name?

David

Author: GolightlyCat Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71449 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 9:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
I'll miss you, Jim

Z

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71453 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 10:15 AM
Recommendations: 21
>> Is there a charity that the family has designated for donations in his name?.

Another Fool located this death notice in the Globe and Mail (Toronto):

Friday, May 18, 2001
BOA, James Andrew Ph.D. Cal. Tech.
Suddenly, May 3, 2001 in Boston, Massachussetts. Jim is survived by his mother and father, Jim and Irene, his brother Tom (Karen), his sister Sally Donovan (Duncan), also Christopher and Jillian Boa, Colin and Jenny Donovan. Jimmy devoted his life to the study of mathematics and music. He will be missed by friends in Toronto, Boston and California. A family service will be held in Cambridge (Galt) in the near future to recall our memories of Jim. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Samuel Beatty Scholarship Fund (in support of promising undergraduate mathematics students), c/o Mathematics Department, U. of T., 21 Kings College Circle, Toronto M5S 3J3 or a charity of your choice.

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71457 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 10:17 AM
I felt exactly the same about JABoa. Funny how one individual can impact so many lives.

I send my thoughts to his family.

Catleen

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71461 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 10:21 AM
Recommendations: 0
Yes, if anyone knows, please post.

Catleen

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71462 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 10:21 AM
Oh, MY!

This kind of thing always shocks me, I don't know why. . . .My sympathies. . . .

Ishtar

Author: FreeCashFlow Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71465 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 10:28 AM
TMF2Aruba:

I'm curious. How did you find out?

I am shocked and sad to hear this news. I hope his end was as quick and painless as possible.

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71476 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 11:19 AM
Though I know so many other folks have posted and rec'd Tony's announcement of JABoa's passing, I wanted to add my voice. Tony, thanks much for sharing this painful piece of news.

I am deeply saddened and shocked to hear of Jim's untimely passing. Though I never knew him in person, he quickly became one of my favorite posters for his incisive wit, intelligence, and all around likeability. I don't know what it was about Jim, but I just plain loved reading Jim whenever possible.

To Jim's family and loved ones, I offer my sympathies and condolences. I hope that knowing your grief and sense of loss is shared by a great many of his admirers from the internet. We will miss him deeply.

$IQ, New York City

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71486 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 11:52 AM
Recommendations: 3
I can often tell who a poster is (that I have come to know online) just by reading his/her posts. I often think, "That's what XYZ poster would say," only to find that it was XYZ that posted.

That's how it was with JABoa, just as it is with many of you here.
I will miss him. My heart goes out to his family... from us, his internet family.

Louise

Author: bcschopf One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71495 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 1:00 PM
Someone on another board posted his obituary -- a charity is listed at the end for those that are interested...

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14993510

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71496 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 1:03 PM
Recommendations: 2
Tony, I understand your sadness about his passing! JABoa was dear to my heart, even though I never met him. This community has lost a terrific contributor, who had a great sense of humor and seemed to be a truly kind person.

He bestowed what I think was the first pair of cyber antlers on me for some accomplishment on the boards a couple of years ago -- maybe it was for getting a 000 post or something else. Hilarious, though! So here's a pair of cyber moose antlers for JABoa, complete with ziploc baggies and many fond memories.

Cassandra
:(

Author: KarenFool1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71539 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 5:12 PM
I learned a lot from Jim and he will be sorely missed. Tony--please pass along our condolences and everyone's kind words here if you know how to contact his family. I'm sure they would like to know how many people's lives he touched & helped.

Karen

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71550 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 6:47 PM
TMF2Aruba:

I'm curious. How did you find out?

A friend of his had alerted us through an email to TMF.

Tony

Author: GoDucks2001 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71558 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 7:34 PM
I remember him fondly. Truly sad news.

Author: Slovell920 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71559 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 7:38 PM
Hey Tony,

I thought I would never say this about someone I met through the internet. But Jim you will be missed here and by all of us. God Bless you and I am sur you are enjoying yourself watching work ourselves out of debt. But your presence and peace is far more important no matter what the dollar figure because that is nt importatn. JB my friend ou will be missed.

sean

Author: DiabloQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71568 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 8:41 PM
Jim's sudden passing due to a heart attack will leave a very great void here in our forum, as he has touched so many here. Anyone who's frequented the Credit Card board, Living Below Your Means, Buying a Home, Land of Off-Topic posts and many others, has undoubtedly been enriched from the interactions with this fine man. His knowledge, personality, humor, and good nature was the embodiment of Foolishness.

It was always apparant that Jim much enjoyed the give and take here on our boards, and he was always a highly respected voice of reason, and his mastery of mathematics helped countless people with problems and questions on a wide variety of topics.

The news of Jim's passing has hit me hard today, as I know it will so many others here. While I never had the pleasure of meeting Jim personally, his friendship was one I highly valued, for he was truly a role model to so many.

I don't have anything insightful to add, but I'm really going to miss JABoa, too. :(

-- Fran

Author: UKBankerBoy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71570 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/18/2001 9:16 PM
          TMF2Aruba added to your Favorite Fools list. 

UKBB

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71694 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/20/2001 8:53 AM
Here's the parallel notice that appeared in today's Boston Globe:

Boa, James Andrew
WOBURN BOSTON
Of Woburn and Boston, suddenly, May 12th, James Andrew Ph.D., Cal Tech. Beloved son of James C. and Irene (Jode) Boa of Kitchener, Ontario. Dear brother of Thomas Boa and his wife Karen and Sally Donovan and her husband Duncan all of Ontario. Loving uncle to Christopher and Jillian Boa, Colin and Jenny Donovan. Jimmy devoted his life to the study of mathematics and music. He will be missed by friends in Toronto, Boston and California. A Family Service will be held in Cambridge (Galt) in the near future to recall our memories of Jim. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Samuel Beatty Scholarship Fund, in support of promising undergraduate mathematics students, c/o Mathematics Department, University of Toronto, 21 Kings College Circle, Toronto, M5S 3J3 or a charity of your choice. Arrangements were handled by the Lynch-Cantillon Funeral Home, 263 Main St, WOBURN, MA. Lynch-Cantillon Funeral Home 781-933-0400

Author: Xcentric16 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71732 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/20/2001 3:47 PM
Wanted to add my deepest regrets--I loved JABoa. He hovered over the boards like an angel of wisdom and clear-sighted advice. And he helped me out when I was researching the purchase of a harpsichord a year or so back.

He had a beautiful command of the language and a dry wit--his urbanity and knowledge of a range of topics was impressive and always an inspiration. A true gentleman.

JABoa, I'll miss you!

X

Author: Leviathan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71771 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/20/2001 10:51 PM
Recommendations: 20
It's with very deep sorrow and regret that I'm posting this to let the Fool Community know we have received news of the passing of one of our truly great and admired members, JABoa.

I just got home and received this word from Tony, who was kind enough to e-mail me and give me the news.

I don't know exactly why, but I felt that I should say something. But, what can I say? I can't honestly say that I knew the man, yet I can't say that he was a complete stranger to me, either. Sometimes, you just have to say what's in your heart and on your mind and be satisfied that you have done all you can do.

Maybe I didn't know him, but I can say that news of his passing has affected me. As I write this, I somehow find tears running down my face. Perhaps some of you find that silly, but I really don't care. I did not know the man, I do not know what he looks like, but he earned my respect and I can only hope that I occasionally earned his. We didn't often agree, and that's okay because I always knew that he was willing to stand behind his convictions, and for good reason.

I don't know if his family and friends ever knew the difference that he made to so many of the well-known and anonymous viewers to this board, but they should at least know that he helped a great many and never caused any harm to the ones he couldn't help.

So, right now I will raise my beer in toast to him and wish him all the best in whatever lies ahead for him in the great beyond. To his family and friends, I wish them to know the unspoken thanks of the many that owed at least that much to him and a quick healing.

Thank you, JABoa.

Leviathan

PS - I have sent this along to Tony. I would ask that you offer this to the family as a token of how much some of us who didn't know him respected him and will miss him.

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71805 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/21/2001 12:40 PM
Tony:

So many people remember JABoa fondly. Is there any way to let these thoughts/feelings be known to the family? Your thoughts?

Catleen

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71898 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/21/2001 6:55 PM
PS - I have sent this along to Tony. I would ask that you offer this to the family as a token of how much some of us who didn't know him respected him and will miss him.

That was a beautiful post, Leviathan. I'll be happy to pass this on, and I'm sure it'll be very appreciated.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 71903 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 5/21/2001 8:16 PM
Tony:

So many people remember JABoa fondly. Is there any way to let these thoughts/feelings be known to the family? Your thoughts?

Catleen,

I was fortunate enough to privately be given the address of his parents. I'm going to write to them to express the thoughts of everyone here, and include many of the very kind words that have been posted. I want to wait a bit before doing this thought to give them some time to adjust to what must've been a very great shock.

Because his parents are in their 80's, I think it's best that they're not flooded with mail. In fact, that was a specific request from the individual who gave me the address, and I do think it makes a lot of sense. So, I figured that I'd send just one letter which could represent everyone.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Guine One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85025 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 8/8/2001 4:15 PM
It's a long story, but only today I learned of JABoa's passing.

When I came back to the CC board it felt like something was missing.

Now I know what.

Goodbye, JABoa. You are missed.

*sniff*

Author: FixitWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85027 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 8/8/2001 4:19 PM
It's a long story, but only today I learned of JABoa's passing.

I was thinking about him just last night. He is deeply missed by all.

Kim

Author: Guine One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85031 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 8/8/2001 4:34 PM
Thanks for responding, Kim. I have been so sad over this all day. My eyes are brimming with tears.

I've been sending DH links to some of JABoa's posts and a post written in his honor (WonderPup's revisiting of the Harpsichord episode on the LBYM board, which is where I actually learned the news).

He responded, "Yes, he seems like a charming individual. What a loss."

Indeed.

Author: sportscliche One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 266830 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 1/18/2008 3:39 AM
Recommendations: 17
Found this thread as the result of an Internet search for Professor Boa. He was my instructor for differential equations at the University of Buffalo way back in the fall of 1978. The class was held in a large auditorium full of mostly engineering students. Only with the perspective of time do I appreciate what a gifted teacher he was -- eloquent, precise, and in complete command of the subject, which he once remarked was "often deadly dull".

It was hard, but I worked hard, and learned. Solving differential equations usually involves finding the proper application from a bag of tricks that mathematicians have compiled over the centuries. Professor Boa laid out the plan of attack in the form of his own beautiful flowchart, carefully written by hand. There were no word processors or laser printers readily available back then. It's a little rough around the edges, but I still have my Xeroxed copy of that flowchart.

Mike

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 266832 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 1/18/2008 6:15 AM
Found this thread as the result of an Internet search for Professor Boa. He was my instructor for differential equations at the University of Buffalo way back in the fall of 1978. The class was held in a large auditorium full of mostly engineering students. Only with the perspective of time do I appreciate what a gifted teacher he was -- eloquent, precise, and in complete command of the subject, which he once remarked was "often deadly dull".

JABoa was a wonderful man. I met him several times, and we had lunch together just a week before he died. He used to be in charge of our Massachusetts Fools meetings.

I'm glad that you have such wonderful memories of him. He was someone to be treasured.

Nancy

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 266835 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 1/18/2008 8:15 AM
Thank you for posting this. I knew JABoa in Boston in the late 1990s.

Here are links to some other messages you might appreciate:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15015155

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12238225

He also started a message board to help people understand financial calculations:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=10813392

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 266841 of 308369
Subject: Re: In Memory of JABoa Date: 1/18/2008 9:04 AM

It was hard, but I worked hard, and learned. Solving differential equations usually involves finding the proper application from a bag of tricks that mathematicians have compiled over the centuries. Professor Boa laid out the plan of attack in the form of his own beautiful flowchart, carefully written by hand. There were no word processors or laser printers readily available back then. It's a little rough around the edges, but I still have my Xeroxed copy of that flowchart.

Mike

Mike, thanks for sharing your memories about Jim Boa. He was indeed a wonderful, wonderful person and a much loved person on these boards. I was lucky enough to meet him along with other Massachusetts Fools shortly before he died, and he was such a charming person!

Andrea

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement