Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 29
In my case, JNJ. 20% overvalued according to M*.

I couldn't help but notice that my JNJ remained 20% overvalued today. But that's because M* increased its FV estimate from $114 to $118 offsetting the market price bump.

The older I've gotten, the more simplistic my investment style has gotten. First honest, capable, shareholder oriented management. Next a combination of large size and a defensive moat in an important market sector - able to ride out market cycles. Then a strong balance sheet with low/manageable debt. Thereafter diversification within the company to help balance out the market ups and downs. Finally wait for an good entry price and just hold on.

I only hold a very few stocks. Last time I bought was mid-2010. Got my JNJ just under $60 a share. Ditto XOM, but it hasn't done as well. Still I'm ahead of the game, and the dividend income is secure - in both cases. BRK is, by far, the largest holding.

Not trying to beat the world, or necessarily the market. Just want to sleep well and get a decent return. Always keep enough cash so I'm not forced to sell. Really investing for the daughter and grand-kids.

Like the restructured BAM. Thinking about it - probably have been for too long. But don't need to rush.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement