UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (64) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886563  
Subject: Re: Struggling in America? Date: 3/25/2013 11:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
In my humble opinion, yes.

What if an owner of 10,000 acres of land suddenly could not pay his bills. Are you saying that he should not sell any land because he purchased it when he was flush with cash?

First: is it the land he can't pay the bills on? Or something else?

If it's the land, then yes, he can no longer afford it.

However, he has the option to sell part of the land. And keep some, no matter how modest, to live on/in.

With things like the boots, first, the moment they are worn they have utterly plummeted in value. Housing bubble notwithstanding, there's a difference between something being worth 5-10 cents on the dollar and being upside-down (especially if you didn't refi-cash-out subsequently).

Second, she has to wear something on her feet. Seems even more irresponsible to say "Oh, I'll sell these boots for a fraction of their worth and now I have to go buy something else because I have nothing suitable for an interview."

You can sell some land. You can't sell one boot.

GSF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (64) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Story Behind the Story
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement