UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Higher Medicare premiums for Top 25% Date: 4/13/2013 1:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
in my particular case, the premiums could be paid with money left over.

In our particular case, assuming say $4,000 per senior per month, then nyet ;-) (er, this use of Russian is supposed to be funny as I expect I come across as some sort of communist to you///and that was supposed to be funny, too...oh, I give up!)

Why $4k? My healthy SIL was paying $2000/month for an individual policy when she was 64, my not so healthy brother cannot even get a policy when he offered $6k/month...eh, maybe $4k is too low?!

There is no doubt that some people receiving help don't deserve it

I can only guess what you mean, but since I love guessing games, I'll try...smokers? the obese? people who don't exercise? people who didn't "tithe" into retirement accounts starting with their first job? people who invested poorly (hello-)?

If I felt my direct tax dollars and my stealth tax dollars...were being spent relatively wisely, I would be much more tolerant of the games politicians play; but in my lifetime ( and IMHO), the waste has only gotten worse, the sense of "entitlement" greater and the willingness to sacrifice in the short-term for a better long-term life has greatly diminished.

I feel the same way about Pentagon spending. (And I kinda feel that way whenever I drive past the extensive projects in Spanish Harlem-)

Sounding just like my Dad ( rest his soul ); must mean I've finally graduated to curmudgeon. ;-)

I achieved my license to commit eccentricity on my 50th birthday.

Oh, back to health insurance at age 65+ covering half of seniors before the establishment of Medicare. Lemme guess that most of the insured half had retiree health insurance as former executives or as workers at rust belt corporations and the government.

PS--Don't be a stranger around here!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement