Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In order to maintain the tax free status of the transfer, it must be transferred to another IRA account. But that account can be at a discount broker allowing you to buy and sell stocks or mutual funds at will.

If the funds are transferred to a regular account, first they will take withholding, and you will pay income taxes on your gains and pay a 10% penalty. That is the expensive way. Keep it in an IRA.

Transfer to a regular account counts as a distribution. Partial distributions will be credited with a portion of the non-deductible contribution. A full distribution will be credits with all of it. But you will still pay a 10% penalty on the distribution.

If the account investments are worth less than your contribution, there may be a way to cancel the original contribution. For information on that aspect ask on the Tax Strategies board. They are the experts.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.