No. of Recommendations: 0
In reply to message number 272 by foolishfrank :

><<$45K in our 401K plans... Is there a way to rollover that money into a self-directed IRA>>

>In general, the only way you can roll money out of a 401(k) is to quit your job.

Well, there is another way, though not quite so common. If your company or division is purchased by another company, you are given the option to take a distribution, roll your money into the new company's 401K, or roll your money into an IRA.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.