Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CarlErikson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Re: Constructive Sale Question Date: 3/18/2000 4:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In reply to the following:

<<If I read this literally, for Scenario #2, the first hedge transaction was closed in the year 2000 (on 1/1/2000). Therefore, I actually have until 1/30/2001 to close the second short transaction!!!>>

And I agree with your interpretation. Right or wrong.

<< (I need to close the second transaction "before the end of the 30th day after the end of your tax year in which the first transaction was closed (1/1/2000)"). I'm sure my logic is flawed somewhere in here, but where?>>

I don't think so. Where you might be a little lost is that example #1 indicates a 1999 (potential)constructive sale, where example #2 indicates a 2000 (potential) constructive sale.

<<Is Scenario #2 deemed a constructive sale because the second short took place in the next year or no? If it isn't a constructive sale, then do I need to close the second transaction by 1/30/2000 or 1/30/2001?>>

You would have until 1-30-2001 if I read and understand your question correctly.

I guess I find this bizarre. I avoid the constructive sale in 1999 (by covering the short) and then I immediately (one day later) put on the hedge position again (in the year 2000). I can wait a whole year to cover this new short and after I do that, I can one day later hedge again! And at no point do I have a constructive sale! I can just keep on doing this year after year! It just seems like exactly what the government wants to prevent - being able to lock in a gain forever without paying any capital gains at the moment you lock in that gain.

I'm not complaining because I think constructive sales laws are contrived anyway, but I still find it odd.

Thanks again,
Carl
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement