Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dharmadollars Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: Re: Mortgage interest deduction question Date: 11/27/2003 9:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
In response to my following comment, Peter comments as below:

"(1) an add-on fee for a CLTV greater than 90%, and (2) higher interest rates on the two loans because of the greater imputed risk deriving from no equity in the transaction. Even after your secondary financing has been paid off the higher reate on the underlying first will remain."

I'm no expert on underwriting guidelines, but I seem to recall reading over on the Buying a Home board that keeping the first mortgage under 80% is all that is needed. I'd suggest posing this question over on that board. There are a couple of mortgage pros that hang out over there who know what's going on in this area.

I respond: With all due respect, I might be considered an expert on underwriting guidelines. I've been active in mortgage lending for 23 years. Keeping the first mortgage at or below 80% avoids PMI. Even without PMI CLTVs in excess of 90% result in add-on fees. When the CLTV reaches 100%, you still do not need PMI but you will face higher rates because of the imputed greater risk inherent in a "no-buyer-cash-equity" structure. It's in the loan pricing; I see it on the daily sheets.

Peter also responds to my following suggestion--
"If you have 401k plans with loan provisions, and you have sufficient vested money in the plans, consider taking out loans...."

as follows:

Of course, the interest on a 401k loan won't be deductible. That gets you to essentially the same place as taking equity out of the current residence.

I agree with the factual accuracy of Peter's observation. I made the suggestion in the event the current house is or becomes listed before the equity loan has been put in place. Once the house is listed, I know of no lenders who will close the loan.

Another minor consideration is that the HELOC will either have closing costs at the time of settlement, or will contain provisions that closing costs be reimbursed if the loan is closed within a stipulated time period. The 401k loan carries no such costs. This saving would offset some of the lost interest deduction.

The bottom line is that regardless of the equity source, get some and avoid 100% CLTV financing if possible. A short term cost of secured funds for a downpayment will save you substantial money over the longer haul.

And thanks to Peter for raising his points.

Regards,
dharmadollars
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement