Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In response to my link to a story on this topic, TMFTaxes replied:

But what I found interesting in the link to the story was the following:

<<But in fact, many tax professionals agree,however reluctantly, with the IRS' original spin on the issue. “The IRS is catching hell for trying to carry out the will of Congress,which writes the tax laws,” says Steven Reuschlein, a certified public accountant in Madison, Wis.

“It's pretty clear that the return of a ball in which the batter had no ownership in the first place would clearly be a gift under ordinary circumstances.”>>

I could be argued that the IRS did have it right, IMHO. But they soon realized that they were in the middle of a PR nightmare. And in a rare fit of common sense, decided to drop the issue.

But, as this story shows, IRS is damned if they do, and damned if they don't. Any wonder why moral at the service is as low as it has ever been?

I reply:

The remark you quoted is the reason I thought the link might be of interest, Roy. It seems to me, by the way, that the turnaround can be justified by arguing that a fan who simply gives the ball back immediately has never accepted possession in the first instance. Surely this would be the ruling if the fan simply threw the ball back onto the field. Wouldn't it? --Bob
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement