UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tomu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 532  
Subject: Re: Leeches Not Leaders Date: 4/24/2003 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
In response to "Leeches not Leaders",as a 25 yr. employee of US Airways,I feel that I may be qualified to offer a little insite.
I've often thought about the fact that Southwest has continued to reap profits even through these perilous times.Have they got better planes?Routes?Smarter front line employees?Luck?Do they pay better salaries?What can it possibly be?
Then look at just about all the others.They have upgraded their fleets spending multi-billions of dollars.They fly to be best cities in the world.They have competent employees.They pay top-rate wages.
So...what can the difference be?
Like Duh??
I feel that the real difference is that they are managed differently!They are managed by folks that do the right thing because they happen to feel that doing the right thing is always the right thing to do.Things like ethics and character.
Dave Siegel made a statement a while back that "The only higher price than good mangement is the price for bad management".
Wow!I could'nt agree more.I only have to look at the pay stubs I get showing my pay reductions to see that.Somehow I feel like I've paid as much for my management as the employees of Southwest have paid for theirs.
US Airways also "had" to pay out large bonuses to keep our "wonderkind" from jumping ship.Seems that others also saw a huge amount of talent that they could use to position themselves to the level of US.How many do you suspose were being wooed by LUV?
But of course we must move past the past.Right?Surely management is also learning from their mistakes.After all,thats one of the things that they are paid for,right?And they are surely being paid well enough.
This is truly a exciting time to be alive!I wonder whats over the horizon.More of the same,or doing the right thing?
Any takers?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement