Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: StevnFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 213122  
Subject: Re: Veggie Diet vs Radiation? WEB will Date: 4/30/2012 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
In terms of diet, one thing to consider is avoiding gluten in your diet. There are people that have Celiac Disease, and lots of others that don't have that genetic issue, but are gluten intolerant. Both conditions can alter your body's ability (the villi in your gut) to absorb the food and nutrients you're eating properly.

And, your average MD hasn't been trained in this sort of nutritional advice.

Getting a bit more OT so pass on if you are not interested.

A variation on this advice is the GAPS diet by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. See http://gaps.me/

She is a qualified and experienced neurologist and neurosurgeon but then did a post graduate degree in Human Nutrition and developed this diet after her child was diagnosed with autism. She claims to have cured her child and a few hundred others of autism.

Her book is an interesting read. Some may feel that it does not meet the levels of statistical proof normally required in mediscine today.

It is essentially a gluten free diet (with additional changes) for a period of time during which the diet claims to heal your gut so that you don't need to remain on a gluten free diet for life.

My wife suffers from Narcolepsy and has been on drugs for it for the last 20 years .... until last October. By that stage she was on about double the recommended dose of the drug plus on medication for depression. Overall the medication was doing a poor job of dealing with her Narcolepsy symptoms (getting worse as time went by - presumably due to tolerance issues or something similar).

She went onto the GAPS diet and stopped all her medication last October. It is still fairly early days but the results so far are encouraging - less sleep, more energy, no cataplexy, losing (some) excess weight, etc.

It is not the most convenient diet for the modern lifestyle, but I am convinced that it is a more healthy diet. Our children and I are on it too but we are not 100% strict with it.

If you read her book, you will find that it challenges a lot of widely publicised and accepted theories on healthy diet so you may find it hard to accept. I found it easier to accept as I could see the changes in my wife's health before my eyes.

StevnFool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement