UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Leia28 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886558  
Subject: In the blink of an eye Date: 3/15/2006 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 339
I don't really post much on the discussion boards, but I have occasionally, and I have learned a great deal from so many of you. I am posting this message in the hopes that it will help someone, but I need to admit also just to get some of this off my chest.

I am 39. My husband is 35. Our son is 3. We have not always been great spending money wisely, but from what we've learned from TMF, our financial picture has improved quite a bit. However, everything is about to change.

My husband went to the doctor because he felt a small lump near his jaw. It was deep in the skin. After antibiotics didn't help, he went to a surgeon who decided to remove it. The biopsy showed it was malignant. My husband has either stage 3 or stage 4 melanoma. We never saw a mole, so either the mole appeared and then regressed, or the melanoma started internally. The cat scans and bone scans show the cancer is in the bones in his face.

Melanoma is very difficult to fight at this stage. Doctors don't agree at all as to how to fight. The prognosis is grim. My husband has been told he has a 50% chance he will live a year, and very little chance to live 3 years. Of course, we will fight and keep positive and try to beat the odds.

We have great life insurance, so if my husband doesn't survive, I could probably retire. If he lives, we will be very strapped for cash. Never before has financial instability seemed so appealing.

I guess what I really need to tell people is something that has been said on this board many times before. Please excuse the redundency.

It's all about balance.

I am glad we have funds stored away so that we don't have to pick up and move right now. That might happen in the future, but for now, we keep the stability of our home. We don't have to declare bankruptcy. The reason we aren't financially devasted is because, at least part of the time, we were smart with our money and didn't blow it on stupid stuff. Notice I said some of the time. Sometimes we spent money on stuff that was downright moronic. I really, truly appreciate being a part of a community that encourages its members to be smart with money.

We didn't put all our hopes and dreams into retiring either. Retiring early has always been a goal, but we never wanted to do it at the expense of living along the way. We have family outings to the zoo, the museum, etc. We enjoy an occasional dinner out. I don't regret doing any of that, even though not doing it would have meant more money in the eFund. Now that our budget is extremely limited, we are making sure to do more of the small stuff. We go to the park more. We watch construction equipment more. (Watching a backhoe dig is great free entertainment.)

It's not just about money either. Time is just as easy to mishandle as money. I think it's easy to get caught up in working as much as possible so you can have more money. While my husband feels good, we will do as much as we can to enjoy each day. Fortunately, he has very few signs of being sick, so we can enjoy ourselves for awhile. At best, he will have a lot of days in the future where he will be very sick from treatment. At worst, it will be the last time he sees our bulbs grow and bloom.

I hope someone receives something out of this post. It's sure been therapeutic for me. :-) I do hope though that my post will remind people to spend their money and their time wisely. Life can, and often does, change in the blink of an eye.

-Leia

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement