UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10394  
Subject: Re: Problem with Quicken 2007 Date: 6/2/2009 7:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In the case of the reports, you are correct, Quicken is geared at a user that has no formal accounting experience or knowledge.

I can understand the addition of fluffware because of user requests. Unsophisticated users will request dumb things, and those dumb things translate into obnoxious wizards.

But that doesn't explain breaking things that formerly worked. In this thread, we have the example of the "exclude all" flag on the reports. It worked in Q99. It doesn't work in Q2004-2008, which is a pretty long time to leave a bug unfixed. At a minimum, the flag should have been removed; preferably, it should have been made to automatically check and uncheck the appropriate categories.

Then there's my pet peeve, the balance adjustment. From Quicken 2.0 through Q99, I could balance adjust a cash account and it defaulted to the current date. Starting with Q2004, it defaulted to the last date a balance adjustment was done. I have a hard time believing that's a request by a user, even by an unsophisticated one. It's a bug that got introduced.

Stuff like this is why Intuit is losing its embedded customer base. I'd grumble but accept paying $30 every three years to keep the ability to download. I can live with bugs not getting fixed, once I get used to the workarounds. I'd grumble but live with the gratuitous changes in user interface. But when you throw in random breakage of stuff that used to work, it's not worth it. I'll live with what I've got for as long as it works, and deal with not being able to download.

Patzer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement