UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10543  
Subject: In the market for a new TV Date: 12/18/2007 4:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What I am replacing: A 36" Sony Wega flat tube that is 5 years old. No issues with it. Love the picture. Love the quality. It just takes up a lot of room and no longer meets my needs.

What I want: Something big. I definitely want something in the 16:9 ratio, but I am torn between the LCD and DLP. I will be looking at something at least 55", and the price becomes a big factor in that range as well. I really want to keep this as close to $2000 as possible, but will consider going a bit higher for a decent leap in quality.

Important facts: I am not a videophile. I will use this for playing normal DVDs (not blueray or HDVD), and watching non-HD Directv, at least for another year before I can upgrade the tuner to HD. I will also play PS2 (yes 2, not 3) on this TV.

Any advice is welcome. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: shotzongoal Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5067 of 10543
Subject: Re: In the market for a new TV Date: 12/18/2007 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Samsung HLT5687s

This is a great TV. It's a 56" DLP with a LED engine. I've had one for two months, and can't see a single flaw. Did a lot of research, and this TV gives the most bang for the buck.

Off air HD - Perfect
Dish Hd (HDMI) - Perfect
Dish SD - Much better than expected
Upped DVD (HDMI) - Great
Xbox - Great

Amazon has them for $1699, the last I checked.

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5068 of 10543
Subject: Re: In the market for a new TV Date: 12/18/2007 7:56 PM
Oddly enough, I looked at a Samsung 61" DLP LED tonight and almost bought it but wanted to check back here first. I really did like the quality of the picture and a lot of the features.

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5069 of 10543
Subject: Re: In the market for a new TV Date: 12/18/2007 8:50 PM
Oddly enough, I looked at a Samsung 61" DLP LED tonight and almost bought it but wanted to check back here first. I really did like the quality of the picture and a lot of the features.

I have the 5679W, which is the 2006 version of the Samsung 56" LED DLP. I'm really quite happy with it, but you really do want to switch away from "dynamic" (showroom) or "standard" mode to "movie" mode, even if you don't normally care too much about picture quality. Believe me, you'll notice the color gradients in the showroom modes in shadows, and once you've watched movie mode for a while, colors (particularly fleshtones) look all wrong in the showroom modes.

The 2007 model you're looking at is improved, but not hugely so. I've got a longer review here:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25686094

If you get one of these things, look into some source of HD TV. Don't sweat HD DVD or Blu Ray, I have those and the difference isn't impressive, mainly because regular DVDs look so good. But it's painful to watch standard definition TV now that I've been picking up the major networks in HD. Everyone who has seen the HD network shows on the TV has had the same reaction, even non-videophiles like my wife and her friend.

I went with an outdoor antenna. Which might not have been the smartest choice. The antenna itself was cheap ($40), but the mounting hardware, cabling, and labor to put it up were about $200. For that money I could have gotten a HD DVR from DirecTV. Of course that'd run another $4 / month over what I'm paying now, but then I'd be watching the recorded shows in HD. Right now, I can either watch the show live in HD and sit through the stupid commercials, or I can watch it recorded and skip them, but with much lower picture quality.

- Gus

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5073 of 10543
Subject: Re: In the market for a new TV Date: 12/19/2007 2:13 AM
I'm gonna jump on that Samsung 56" DLP bandwagon. I've had mine about 6 months now and it's awesomely awesome. Paid $1329 on Amazon, including shipping. When I see smaller LCD sets selling for, like, 3 or even 4 thousand bucks, I have to wonder, how much better can the friggin' picture be? I could not be more pleased w/the quality of this tv.

If you do get one, be sure to take Gus's advice about doing some basic tweaking, it makes a big difference in picture quality.

Harold

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5074 of 10543
Subject: Re: In the market for a new TV Date: 12/19/2007 7:12 AM
Thanks guys.

I ended up ordering the Samsung 56" LED DLP. I loved the 61" in the store, but it was just a little too big for the space I have. 56" should be perfect.

I paid more than the prices you all quoted, but still saved $100 over the store price, PLUS no taxes or shipping!

I am very pleased already, and it isn't even here yet.

RJ

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5079 of 10543
Subject: Re: In the market for a new TV Date: 12/20/2007 2:18 AM
Recommendations: 2
RJ,

Don't know which model you got, but here are the settings for the Samsung HLS-5679W that I got from the AVS forum. This is a good starting point and then you can tweak further if you wish:

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 70
Brightness - 40
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2 (or Warm1 if it appears too red)

Harold

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement