Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DOW2000 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 53806  
Subject: Re: At the Bar: Preemption Date: 9/16/2002 10:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In this case though we're not raising an Army. In the two examples I give, we are already there awaiting additional forces, patient, armed and waiting. In fact I could make a case that if there was Peace in North Korea and Iraq, we would actually save money in the mid and long term and we would gain a tremendous amount of security.

The point is well taken though and I'm glad you've chosen to jump in my friend. How is Blair doing? He seems to be staunchly supporting the drum beating in a very Churchillian way. What is the man on the streat view from England? For that matter what do our Swiss, Canadian and other international customers think? Will America cross a line if it adopts a preeptive strategy?

thought I would peek my head through the door of the pub. It seems a very welcoming place, with a great range of beers and some congenial company

The first one is on the house. You will no doubt wish to start your tab as a regular because it's lurkers strictly cash.

Hmm, what are the pub rules on scrolly posts? I felt I had to copy in all of your reply, as it is all relevant.

I don't think you would gain a tremendous amount of security. North Korea and Iraq may be countries, but they are also states of mind. There will be counter-insurgency, and the choice between supporting a new regime, or walking away and being unpopular on both sides.

Until a couple of weeks ago, it seemed that Blair might be on the verge of being ousted by the pacifists within his own party- and I wouldn't say he is out of the woods yet.

Word on the street. In Britain, grudging respect for the US hard-line stance mixed with a lot of liberal hand-wringing, and a good helping of vitriolic anti-americanism. On the whole, you may be slightly ahead in public opinion here. However, in europe we don't count for much, and the rest of Europe is totally anti-war and Bush is doing a good job of turning them anti-american as well.

I fear that there is an ambitious French and German plan to use this as an opportunity to set Europe up as the power brokers in the middle-east on the back of the anti-american backlash in the streets there. Trouble is they don't recognise that Europe doesn't have the money or the military to wield any influence.

You would be flabbergasted by the rhetoric that some muslims over here are coming out with. More or less threatening suicide bombings in London if we help you guys out in Iraq. And these guys are British citizens?????????????????????

Mighty fine beer you serve here TJ, think I'll set up a tab.

DOW

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement