Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[In your March 19,1998 article you gave an example whereas the seller of his home then buys
another home and sells it in the same year and gets to totally exclude that profit (meeting the
necessary limit) as well as the gain from the sale of his first home.
By - passing the 2 year must live in the house rule.
Was this because the sale of both homes took place in the same calendar year?]]

That was a three part article...and I don't remember the specific example. If you want to point out that example to me, I'll be glad to comment.

But I believe that you are speaking to the issue of selling a property using the OLD rules, and then selling the rollover property in the near future.

The law allows you to "tack on" your holding period if you sell under the old rules. Which means that the first home that you sell under the "new" laws doesn't have to be held, necessarily, for the full two year period, if it was a product from a prior rollover.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement