UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744213  
Subject: Inauspicious start to the day Date: 11/14/2012 8:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I ambled out to my car this morning and immediately noticed that the passenger side rearview mirror was hanging by its wires, not mounted to the car as it should be. Given that the car was pulled in to the parking space (not backed in) it wouldn't seem possible for someone to have hit it and knocked it loose. No, I'm pretty sure my wife got a little too close to a construction barrel or something similar while driving yesterday (it wouldn't be the first time), somehow didn't realize it and thus I have an unexpected repair bill in my immediate future. Luckily I was able to place it back onto the mount well enough to drive to work with it still in place (just can't adjust it and have to watch for bumps on the way home).

The good news of the day is that the Stadium Bridge will reopen today after nearly a year of being closed (it was totally replaced, I have to thank all of you good taxpayers though because they used federal funds to do it). Having that bridge open will reduce my commute by 33%! Can't wait to once again have a sub-ten minute commute instead of 15+ minutes. It doesn't seem like a lot but multiply that by two each day (ten minutes) then by five most weeks (50 minutes) then a year minus vacation (so around 50 weeks) and we're talking nearly TWO ENTIRE DAYS of my life used up on detours around this one bridge. Plus another 500 miles of driving or so (one extra mile each way, ten miles a week, 50 weeks). So it cost me at least $50 counting gas and wear-and-tear (probably double that). Just a bunch of hassle that I'll be more than happy to be without!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655051 of 744213
Subject: Re: Inauspicious start to the day Date: 11/14/2012 8:34 AM
Recommendations: 0
"The good news of the day is that the Stadium Bridge will reopen today after nearly a year of being closed (it was totally replaced, I have to thank all of you good taxpayers though because they used federal funds to do it). Having that bridge open will reduce my commute by 33%! Can't wait to once again have a sub-ten minute commute instead of 15+ minutes. It doesn't seem like a lot but multiply that by two each day (ten minutes) then by five most weeks (50 minutes) then a year minus vacation (so around 50 weeks) and we're talking nearly TWO ENTIRE DAYS of my life used up on detours around this one bridge. Plus another 500 miles of driving or so (one extra mile each way, ten miles a week, 50 weeks). So it cost me at least $50 counting gas and wear-and-tear (probably double that). Just a bunch of hassle that I'll be more than happy to be without!" - colovion
---------------

Damn sum-a-bitch government! They should have let a private company build that bridge and then charge a toll to everyone that uses it. Much better.

Art

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655063 of 744213
Subject: Re: Inauspicious start to the day Date: 11/14/2012 9:37 AM
Recommendations: 0
Damn sum-a-bitch government! They should have let a private company build that bridge and then charge a toll to everyone that uses it. Much better.

Or the city could have paid for it. They tried to float a $65,000,000 bond to rebuild the main branch of the library but it failed to pass. I'm sure the voters would have been far more likely to approve a $23,000,000 bond for a bridge (two, actually) that is VERY highly used. But they didn't even try. Just asked Rep. John Dingell (D-lifetime appointment) for the money, he was more than happy to come out, do a dog-and-pony show for the voters and now all you good people who will never use the bridges get to pay for them.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655076 of 744213
Subject: Re: Inauspicious start to the day Date: 11/14/2012 10:50 AM
Recommendations: 2

Art

You are probably being sarcastic, but that is *exactly* what they should have done.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement