Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been having a discussion with my best friend about an IRS rule that used to apply to income averaging over a five or ten year period. This was used, IIRC, to help if one had a spike in income that was unexpected or a precipitious drop in income. This should not be confused with forward income averaging for lump sum payments which I know ended Dec 31,1999 unless one was born before the end of 1936. If anyone can remember any details of this rule and approx if and when it ended, I would appreciate your comments. I believe this ended about fifteen years ago but cannot recall well enough to be sure.

Thanks for your comments.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.