Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I graduated from college this May and am now starting my first job. As a result of working only a partial year, I will have relatively low income, putting me in a low tax bracket this year. However, next year I will have a full year of income pushing me into a higher tax bracket.

I understand that in some cases it is possible to average income over a two year period in order to make for more consistent taxes. For example, if I were to move $10,000 from next years income (marginally taxed at 25%) to this year (taxed at 15%), it would reduce my taxes by $1000 next year.

I did some researching on the IRS website and in layman's terms they claim that this is now only permitted for those in agriculture. However, I would like a little more reassurance from someone who is familiar with the actual tax code. Does anybody know if I, as an engineer right out of college, would be eligable for any such income averaging?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.