Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
income from the state retirement system

Now for the kicker. If your state has an income tax, check the "Adjustments to Federal AGI" section of the state instructions. Many states treat part or all of retirement income differently from the Federal.

Yes. At least some states do not tax money from pensions from the state directly, for people like teachers or civil servants.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.