Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: apacherose Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Incorrect $wages on W2 Date: 1/25/2000 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm writing under my mom's handle...so please bear with me. She's taught me to do my own taxes & we use TMF resources, including the new 2000 Investment Tax Guide. I'm unable to find this similar scenario in the Tax Strategy msg board or FAQ...but if I've missed it--please just point me in the right direction!!

Anyway, I have good reason to believe there truly is an error in wage $$ reported in Box 1 on my W2. It is approximately $300 higher than amount on paycheck stub. The FIT, FICA & Medicare Tax boxes also have incorrect $amounts---NONE match my year-to-date column of final 1999 paycheck!! TurboTax even suggests its ok to start with tax preparations without the W2, just by using final 1999 paycheck stub!! I've called Company personnel---they insist their $figure is correct, refusing to amend the W2, saying that NOT everything is always included on paycheck stubs!! If so, how can the wage earner check for W2 accuracy, etc? What is my next step...I'm going to try & stop at local IRS office to get their input...any suggestions?

In detail...my 1999 "original gross" is $16000 with non-taxable medical insurance deductions of $350, am I correct in that the difference of $15650 is amount that should be in W2 Wage Box 1? Instead $15963 is in Box 1...& as mentioned above...the FIT, FICA & Medicare tax amounts printed on W2 Boxes 2,4,6 do not even match my paycheck!! I received $125 total merchandise gift certificates from my company this year, but that doesnt account for their wage $amount!!Shouldnt a final calendar year's paycheck match the W2? Would appreciate a 3rd opinion, as Mom's 2nd opinion agrees with me!!

Thanks so much--apacherose jr.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SheffieldCourt Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25969 of 121061
Subject: Re: Incorrect $wages on W2 Date: 1/25/2000 10:20 AM
<<<<<Shouldnt a final calendar year's paycheck match the W2? Would appreciate a 3rd opinion, as Mom's 2nd opinion agrees with me!!>>>

My W-2 matches my final paycheck! I don't really see how it can justifiably be different - I would insist that the company personnel explain this.

One thing, I work for a small company, and we were urged to check the details on our final paycheck, since it was stated that it can be expensive to get a W-2 corrected, and it can be a real pain in the rear to do this. I wonder if this is a factor?

I'm sure your'll get other opinions, but let us know how you get this resolved.

NeilW (...sitting in a snowy North Virginia...)

Author: Taxslave One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25973 of 121061
Subject: Re: Incorrect $wages on W2 Date: 1/25/2000 10:40 AM
Your paycheck could include the value of other items your employer provides to you. For example, the value of your personal use of a company provided automobile.

If you are determined that the W-2 is correct, you will have to resolve this issue with your employer and they will have to file an amended W-2.

If you file your return using wages that do not agree with your W-2 sometime in the next 2 years you will receive a notice from the IRS claiming the defciency and asking that you either explain the difference to their satisfaction or pay the additional tax and interest associated with the defciency.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26022 of 121061
Subject: Re: Incorrect $wages on W2 Date: 1/25/2000 7:30 PM
<< I have good reason to believe there truly is an error in wage $$ reported in Box 1 on my W2. It is approximately $300 higher than amount on paycheck stub. The FIT, FICA & Medicare Tax boxes also have incorrect $amounts---NONE match my year-to-date column of final 1999 paycheck!! >>

You have a problem with your employer that needs to be fixed by your employer. Either your W-2 is wrong or you need an explanation of why the numbers don't match. Enlist the help of your boss if you're not getting anywhere with the payroll people.

When I had the misfortune to be an IRS supervisor in LA in the 80's, we had such an incompetent payroll section that I dreaded payday. All it meant was a line of angry employees. I finally got action when I was screaming at the top of my lungs that the following day would find me at the District Director's door wanting to know why he couldn't run a payroll shop that could get the numbers right. I guess I was wild enough that they figured I'd do it, because they started fixing things instead of giving me the runaround.

You've really touched one of my buttons. Incompetent people hide in organizations because those affected by their incompetence let them get away with it. I don't know about you, but when someone starts messing with my money, I see red. They may figure that you're a troublemaker and send you packing? Hey, from what I hear about the labor market, no sweat. And do you really want to work for someone who can't explain what they're doing with YOUR money?

BTW, if they won't fix or explain your W-2, write back and we'll tell you how to get the IRS involved in the discussion.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement