Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mj2boogie Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 438  
Subject: Index Annuities Date: 10/17/2007 1:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am talking to a financial advisor about an index annuity with Allianz called the Endurance 15 (a new annuity which is similar to their MasterDex10 annuity, but supposedly better). He says it is a great deal. The details as I understand are:
- Surrender period 10 years
- Take the payments as either as a lump sum or as a "enhanced withdrawal benefit" monthly annuity with a bonus over a 10 year period.
- Bonus amount is 20% (if I sign up by October 29, 15% bonus after that).
- Interest rate cap is 2.8% per month or can have an annual cap approx 7%; Participation Rate is 100%.
- Can be tied to S&P 500, Nasdaq 100, FTSE 100, Blended, or Fixed interest only, and can distribute percentges of the annuity across a variety of these investments.
- Can be done with qualified or non-qualified funds (I am considering opening this annuity with qualified funds from a part of my pension lump sum).
- Can add additional money for up to three years to the annuity and get the same 20% bonus
- I can take out up to 10% of the principal each year if I want to (not sure how / if that would be taxed if principal was from a qualified fund).
- Upon death, beneficiaries could collect over a 5 year period, starting immediately.
- There are no fees or expenses; the amount I put in, plus the bonus (assuming I take the "enhanced withdrawal benefit") would not be reduced; I assume they make their money by using the Interest Rate Cap.

Is anyone familiar with this annuity? Though I have read many of the postings about annuities and understand (I think) the pros & cons (provide for tax-deferred investment growth and a "guaranteed" income for life in retirement; somewhat lower return on investment than the market, restricted investment choices, growth is taxed at ordinary income tax rates on withdrawal, lacks liquidity), this one is being pitched as a great deal.

Any information or analysis would be helpful.
Other relevant info: I am 57, spouse 50, both retired; both have significant savings in 401k funds (all in equities); I have the lump sum (high 6 figures); spouse has an annuity she can start collecting anytime, but it is heavily discounted if she takes it early, so she probably won't; we have other significant outside savings in individual equities (many of the MFSA picks, which have done well!!) and mutual funds; other small assets and a reasonable amount of cash on hand; no debt. Just looking for the best plan for investing my lump sum, which I will receive in about a month...
Thank for any help!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement