UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SabioUno One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75525  
Subject: index fund info. Date: 12/28/2000 10:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have two 401(k) accounts from previous employers that I would dearly love to consolidate into a single index fund. Does any Fool have a good resourse to look at the various index funds available?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26848 of 75525
Subject: Re: index fund info. Date: 12/28/2000 10:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Try this link:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13403173

It should have tons of information for you if you follow all the links... :-)

JB

Author: SabioUno One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26849 of 75525
Subject: Re: index fund info. Date: 12/28/2000 11:28 PM
Thanks for the overwhelming weath of info. Th ene site I did investigate briefly was indexfunds.com. Specifically, the 5 year history. It appears that ther may be 60 or so funds on the list that are outperforming the S&P. Is this right? 60 funds in the entire market does not sound like too many, or am I reading it wrong.

Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26859 of 75525
Subject: Re: index fund info. Date: 12/29/2000 1:48 PM
First, S & P has a few different indices and until this year the large-cap growth index was one of the top ones(As was a Nasdaq tracker of course) and this year marks a return to the flip side where value indices may be better as well as mid-cap indices if you look at S & P's current stats(http://www.spglobal.com/currentindexstat.html) you'd see that as of the close on 12/28 while the 500 is down 9%, the mid-cap 400 is UP 18.39% and the small-cap 600 is UP 13.01% which may just illustrate that at different times different chunks of the market do well.

Also, from 1994-1999 the S & P 500 beat I think 95 out of 100 Morningstar indices(One source: http://news.morningstar.com/news/MS/SpecialReports/991108special.html ).

I think the key is to have context in what you read as well as an understanding that index funds should underperform their benchmark by an amount equal to their expenses.

JB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement