UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: luke77 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75859  
Subject: Index fund investing versus stock selection Date: 10/6/2007 1:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi eveyone,

I am a long-time reader of the fool boards, and a recent college graduate. I very much enjoy following the stock market, and am actually working in finance on wall street. For the first time in my life, I am making enough money that I am able to start saving substantially for retirement. I am lucky enough to have no debt, no student loans, and no credit card balance. I also have enough liquid cash to cover my expenses for a while if something horrible happens, plus I have a supportive family that would take me in. I am planning on maxing out my 401K but need some advice regarding how to invest the other money that I will be putting towards retirement.

I think I have basically two options. Either invest in no-load index funds like the s & p 500, or try to beat the market by selecting individual stocks to hold for the long term. Basically, I'm confused by the contrasting information that there seems to be out there. One the one hand, the index fund folks like to espouse the view that the majority of money managers and individual investors do not beat the market over the long term. Although I do think that I am probably an above-average investor, I don't think it's smart to assume that I would do better than average, esspecially since money managers spend their entire lives analyzing stocks (though I know they have some liquidity constraints that I do not). It usually gets people in trouble when they assume they are smarter than everyone else.

On the other hand, the other school of thought for retirement investing seems to be "You're young, invest aggressively, you can deal with the risk and volatility since you won't need this money for 10+ years. Your best bet is to build a small portfolio of high-quality growth stocks". To me, this seems paradoxical if you assume that the index-fund stats are true. If most people cannot beat the market, what is the reasoning behind buying individual stocks, even if the outlook is long-term? My goal is to get the best return possible - if, on average, most people underperform the market when they do this, why would it matter what my risk appetite is? The assumption seems to be that more risk=greater return, but the index fund stats would suggest that this is false, right?

Out of necessity, my 401k money has to go into funds, so at most about half of my savings will be invested at my discretion. The only decision I have to make is whether to invest ALL of my money in index funds or whether to build a portfolio with half of it.

I guess the reason that I ask this question is because I'm thinking about using one of the Fool's advisory services - either Stock Advisor or Hidden Gems. Although I'm disheartened at the level and tone of advertising that these services have developed, I've been very impressed by the quality of these products (I did the free trials a while back), and if you look at their performance (although admittedly fairly short-term), they've outperformed the market by a good deal. If I do decide to buy individual stocks it will probably be under the guidance of one of these services...so I guess this just restates my original question - is it better to try to beat the market in this way, or should I buy straight index funds?

Thanks very much for any advice, opinions, or even direction for good sources of advice on this issue.

Luke
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mobileye's Growth too Hot?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement