No. of Recommendations: 0
If a person owns share of the SPY index fund, do the dividends paid by companies in the S&P index flow through to the investor? If so when are these paid since different companies have different dividend dates?

Gordon
Atlanta
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Gordon
All mutual funds, whether open end, closed end or exchange traded, must distribute 98% of all realized income by the end of the year. The fund takes its fees from this income and then distributes what's left to shareholders.

SPY, like all funds, collects distributions at various times during the year from the companies it holds, but generally distributes these quarterly in March, June, Sept and Dec.

BruceM
If a person owns share of the SPY index fund, do the dividends paid by companies in the S&P index flow through to the investor?

... here's a listing of the dividends paid on SPY...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=SPY&a=00&b=29&c=1993&d=02&e=17&f=2007&g=v
Thanks to all -- I just read the SPY was available in increments of 50,000 -- Don't think I will get any just now.<BG>

Gordon
Atlanta
I just read the SPY was available in increments of 50,000

Who's telling you that? SPY is an ETF - you can buy whatever number of shares you want.
Greetings Gordon,

That is if you want to exchange shares of stock to get shares of SPY rather than exchange cash for shares of SPY. If you research as to how shares of SPY are created and redeemed you can learn more about this mechanism that all ETFs have to have to prevent discounts and premiums from persisting.

Regards,
JB
Thanks JB

Gordon
Advertisement