UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Nathar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: Index Fund Rec's? Date: 7/11/2002 1:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm looking for an S&P style index fund that's available through Scottrade for an IRA, that doesn't require a huge minimum ($1000-$2000 would be okay). From reading Vanguard, it sounds like they have a min $3000 investment, and charge you $10/year if your fund is less than $10,000 and possibly an additional $10/year if your accound is below some value as well. I really liked E*Trade's SP fund (aside from the fact that I've lost money in it), because they had no fees but they are going to start charging a maintenance fee.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ddeitch Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34813 of 76079
Subject: Re: Index Fund Rec's? Date: 7/11/2002 9:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
For an IRA, most funds, including Vanguard, have a $1000 minimum. This is specifically because of the limited annual contributions available for an Traditional or Roth IRA.

David

Author: Nathar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34814 of 76079
Subject: Re: Index Fund Rec's? Date: 7/11/2002 10:08 PM
For an IRA, most funds, including Vanguard, have a $1000 minimum. This is specifically because of the limited annual contributions available for an Traditional or Roth IRA.

But do they still charge the $10/year maintenance fees for lower balances?

Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34815 of 76079
Subject: Re: Index Fund Rec's? Date: 7/11/2002 11:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
But do they (scottrade) still charge the $10/year maintenance fees for lower balances?

No. None of the low balance fees you would incur directly at Vanguard. Pretty good deal, I'd say.

Caat
Who has accounts at both Scottrade and Vanguard. Who is very happy with her Scottrade account.

Author: mikeg1382 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34849 of 76079
Subject: Re: Index Fund Rec's? Date: 7/17/2002 9:36 AM
Vanguard actually charges $20 a year-$10 a year custodial fee and $2.50 per quarter for a maintenece fee. The $10 you pay when you want up until something like June 5th, after which they take it out of your account, and it is waived after you reach $5000 in your IRA, or have assets totaling more than $50 grand with Vanguard. The $2.50 they sock out directly every quarter. That comes to a little over .05 a day with the custodial fee, and a little under .03 a day after you reach that $5000 mark. Personally, I think the fees are worth it as Vanguard is very user-friendly and up-front.

just my .02 cents!

Mike in NJ

Author: Nathar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34850 of 76079
Subject: Re: Index Fund Rec's? Date: 7/17/2002 10:32 AM
Vanguard actually charges $20 a year-$10 a year custodial fee and $2.50 per quarter for a maintenece fee. The $10 you pay when you want up until something like June 5th, after which they take it out of your account, and it is waived after you reach $5000 in your IRA, or have assets totaling more than $50 grand with Vanguard. The $2.50 they sock out directly every quarter. That comes to a little over .05 a day with the custodial fee, and a little under .03 a day after you reach that $5000 mark. Personally, I think the fees are worth it as Vanguard is very user-friendly and up-front.

Is that only for funds you purchase in a Vanguard account? If you buy a Vanguard Fund through another brokerage, doesn't Vanguard charge you those same fees?

Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34851 of 76079
Subject: Re: Index Fund Rec's? Date: 7/17/2002 12:44 PM
If you buy a Vanguard Fund through another brokerage, doesn't Vanguard charge you those same fees?

Not at Scottrade. They have an agreement with Vanguard. I don't know about other brokers.

Caat

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement