UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61934  
Subject: India is a very strange place Date: 11/30/2012 3:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Yesterday I posted the story about Indians killing tens of thousands of falcons with large nets.

Today we have a story about Indians cultivating vultures so that they may ritualistically devour the flesh of human corpses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/world/asia/cultivating-vul...

MUMBAI, India — Fifteen years after vultures disappeared from Mumbai’s skies, the Parsi community here intends to build two aviaries at one of its most sacred sites so that the giant scavengers can once again devour human corpses.

Construction is scheduled to begin as soon as April, said Dinshaw Rus Mehta, chairman of the Bombay Parsi Punchayet. If all goes as planned, he said, vultures may again consume the Parsi dead by January 2014.

<snip>

...and you ask, "Why did the vultures disappear?"

India once had as many as 400 million vultures, a vast population that thrived because the nation has one of the largest livestock populations in the world but forbids cattle slaughter. When cows died, they were immediately set upon by flocks of vultures that left behind skin for leather merchants and bones for bone collectors. As recently as the 1980s, even the smallest villages often had thousands of vulture residents.

But then came diclofenac, a common painkiller widely used in hospitals to lessen the pain of the dying. Marketed under names like Voltaren, it is similar to the medicines found in Advil and Aleve; in 1993 its use in India was approved in cattle. Soon after, vultures began dying in huge numbers because the drug causes them to suffer irreversible kidney failure.

</snip>

As Texas Gov. Rick Perry would analyze -- "Oops"

intercst
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46453 of 61934
Subject: Re: India is a very strange place Date: 11/30/2012 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 0
<<MUMBAI, India — Fifteen years after vultures disappeared from Mumbai’s skies, the Parsi community here intends to build two aviaries at one of its most sacred sites so that the giant scavengers can once again devour human corpses. >>

A lot stranger is the plan of liberals, Democrats and environmentalists which eliminated tens of thousands of family wage jobs in Oregon and Washington in order to provide housing for the Spotted Owl.

The programs in India, Washington and Oregon are all in futherance of local religious beliefs, which can motivate pretty strange behaviors, just as intercst suggests.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46456 of 61934
Subject: Re: India is a very strange place Date: 11/30/2012 10:47 AM
Recommendations: 1
"Yesterday I posted the story about Indians killing tens of thousands of falcons with large nets." - intercst

We just don't know what it is to be really poor. Reminds me of the line from the song "A wise man doesn't know what it is to be thick as a brick." In the same vein someone that lives in the United States and is wealthy just doesn't have a clue what it means and how it feels to be really poor.

When I read the article I was bothered by the idea of killing all those falcons, how we worship wild birds here, especially falcons and hawks and owls, but if I was really poor, and hungry, with no way to make money, I might be out there with nets doing the same exact thing.

A few moments ago there was a whole flock of Cedar Waxwings in our yard working over the berries on the privet hedges between our yard and the woods. They are unbelievably beautiful birds. I mean really gorgeous. Even I wouldn't think of killing one. But perhaps if I were really really poor I might see those birds as an opportunity to catch them and take them to market and sell them as caged birds if I could make even a few cents on them.

What a strange world we live in. I don't think we will ever be equal in this life. It's just not going to happen. It's almost like it was designed to be that way?

Art

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46462 of 61934
Subject: Re: India is a very strange place Date: 11/30/2012 1:50 PM
<<"Yesterday I posted the story about Indians killing tens of thousands of falcons with large nets." - intercst

We just don't know what it is to be really poor. Reminds me of the line from the song "A wise man doesn't know what it is to be thick as a brick." In the same vein someone that lives in the United States and is wealthy just doesn't have a clue what it means and how it feels to be really poor.

When I read the article I was bothered by the idea of killing all those falcons, how we worship wild birds here, especially falcons and hawks and owls, but if I was really poor, and hungry, with no way to make money, I might be out there with nets doing the same exact thing. >>

I think Art proves he is wiser than intercst on this thread.

Our liberal friends take the righteousness for granted. But their environmentalist values amount to just another primitive form of animal worship. And their religious motivations blind them to the values others live by.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46480 of 61934
Subject: Re: India is a very strange place Date: 12/1/2012 12:01 PM
But their environmentalist values amount to just another primitive form of animal worship.

I think not, but we do tend to see nature as an integrated whole, with humans as a part of the whole. IMO the most important part, but that doesn't mean we should have a free hand in trashing the world just for commercial gain. Balance is hard to find, but it's out there.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement