Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ellenlwb Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 244  
Subject: indian stocks on us exchange? Date: 9/30/2009 12:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I decided I wanted to invest in China and India and I found several promising Chinese stocks that are listed on the US stock exchange. But when I went to research Indian stocks and put in the ticker nothing came up. Do I have to go to Bombay to invest? Why aren't more Indian stocks listed on the US stock exchange. Especially the tech stocks. If anyone can tell me what Indian stocks are on the US exchange or where to find it I would appreciate it. Or, how to invest in India through the Bombay exchange or whatever. I am really not interested in a mutual fund, just buying a few shares of certain companies.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: junkman02 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 228 of 244
Subject: Re: indian stocks on us exchange? Date: 9/30/2009 1:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Google ADRs. I don't remember the exact number. But there are maybe a dozen Indian companies whose stock trade in the US via ADRs.

Author: ellenlwb Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 229 of 244
Subject: Re: indian stocks on us exchange? Date: 10/1/2009 10:46 AM
Thanks so much for the help.

Author: mpauls Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 231 of 244
Subject: Re: indian stocks on us exchange? Date: 10/3/2009 4:05 AM
HERE IS LIST:

INFOSYS
DR REDDY
HDFC BANK
ICICI BANK
MTNL
SATYAM
SILVERLINE
TATA COMM
TATA MOTORS
WIPRO

(P.S. DON'T ATTEMPT TO ARBITRAGE ADR'S AGAINST DOMESTIC, YOU WILL LOSE MONEY. THERE ARE LEGAL CONSTRAINTS THAT MAKE IT CURRENTLY IMPOSSIBLE.)

Author: TMFCogitarius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232 of 244
Subject: Re: indian stocks on us exchange? Date: 10/5/2009 9:48 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hi ellenlwb - in case you're not totally familiar with the intricacies of overseas investing, you definitely should invest in getting to know more about ADRs first.

Here's some valuable ADR information you should study carefully before even thinking of putting up a cent:
http://www.adrbnymellon.com/home_university.jsp

Among many other things, you need to find out about ADR fees (on top of broker fees), tax withholding on foreign dividends (depends on tax treaties between US and the country concerned), impact of foreign exchange fluctuations on ADR pricing, etc.

On the same site, you'll get comprehensive ADR listings by country, industry, etc:
http://www.adrbnymellon.com/dr_directory.jsp

Also, here's a Fool article you should check out:
http://www.fool.com/investing/dividends-income/2005/11/15/in...

"I am really not interested in a mutual fund, just buying a few shares of certain companies."

Do remember that investing in individual stocks - particularly foreign ones - requires a very significant commitment of time, effort and skill, and can be quite frustrating due to the difficulty of getting timely, standardised, and reliable performance/ financial data.

Have you considered international ETFs instead - they're a lot more suitable for the average investor, and can be much less risky than a few foreign stocks - e.g. Vanguard's Emerging Markets Stock ETF (VWO) - one of the stalwarts in the field?

However, if you're sure you want individual stocks only, then you should check out the 30 day free trial offer for Motley Fool Global Gains, which gives you two global stock picks per month, plus Wild Card stocks, funds, and lots of great discussions among its many members
http://newsletters.fool.com/25/index.aspx?source=ipesittph00...
---------------------
Global Gains Home Fool

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement