UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pencils2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7106  
Subject: India's Economy Strong; Stock Market Falls Date: 5/20/2006 10:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060520/india_economy.html?.v=1

India's Economy Strong; Stock Market Falls

Saturday May 20, 7:43 am ET

India's Economy Strong Despite Record Fall in Stock Market, Finance Minister Says

NEW DELHI (AP) -- India's finance minister said Saturday that the fundamentals of the country's economy remain strong despite a record fall in the stock market this past week.

"The fundamentals of the economy haven't changed," Finance Minister P. Chidambaram told reporters.

Reports that the Indian government was planning to increase taxes on foreign institutional investors helped drive the Sensex down.

"The decline in the stock market has been due to many factors like a fall in metal prices, the firming up of interest rates overseas and the attractiveness of other markets," Chidambaram said.

"We accept this fact that the market will rise and fall ... but it is unfortunate that uninformed reports on sensitive matters have also hurt the market," he said.

In the current fiscal year which began April 1, India's central bank estimates that the country's gross domestic product will grow by between 7.5 percent and 8 percent.

The finance minister also said India expects good monsoon rains this year, which would benefit the agriculture sector. India's monsoon season begins in June and ends in October.

In my opinion, this downturn in the Indian market is mainly on speculation, with a few other factors (From the article: Reports that the Indian government was planning to increase taxes on foreign institutional investors helped drive the Sensex down.). But, none of the downturn really had to do with India, at least that is what I see. What I'm saying is that we might have a good value opportunity now, or soon, as you can see with some Indian companies/funds (India Fund has been hit hard). I see this as an opportunity because the finance minister said "The fundamentals of the economy haven't changed."

I'd be curious to hear other thoughts, opinions, objections... You get the idea. ;)

Best,

David K
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement