Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: snazzman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Individual Retirement Annuity Options Date: 2/8/2012 2:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I like the advice that I’ve seen posted here and now that I have a decision of my own to make I’m throwing my situation out for a response.
This April I turn 65 and an Optional Purchase Payment Individual Retirement Annuity which I have matures. The Annuity Company is giving me three main options.
Payment Option 1: A Life Annuity with no certain period would provide me with a monthly income of $140. However, under this option all payments would stop with my death, even if it occurred after only one payment.
Payment Option 2: A Life Annuity with 120 certain payments would provide a monthly income of $131. This option provides a monthly income as long as I live. In addition, if I die before I have received all 120 payments, I can designate that the remaining payments which will continue to be made to my beneficiary on a monthly basis.
Payment Option 3: By electing to surrender my contract I will receive a one-sum payment equaling a cash value of $20,877. There are no fees but I am told that it will be taxed as ordinary income. I can also elect to change the annuity date to any date which occurs before Oct 2017 which is when I would have reached the age of 70 1/2. I don’t know if there are any risks with doing that but it would buy me more time to take action.
I retired in 2011 with an annual pension of $37K. My wife and I will draw approximately $33K combined social security in 2012. Since we don’t work now we will not have regular income in 2012. I could use a way to reduce my 2011 taxes since it is composed of a lump sum severance payment, pension, and Soc. Sec.
I really don’t want to annuitize this IRA but I just don’t want to get beat up on this unnecessarily tax-wise since I contributed most of the money that is in this plan. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement