Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: flityness Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: individual / solo 401(k) concerns (profit share) Date: 10/18/2007 1:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
some background:
- have 10% ownership of a llc taxed as an llc
- 2 other partners (1 active, 1 not)
- no other employees (at present)
- receive compensation solely as distributions (not salary)
- distribution is received bimonthly like a salary
- distributions didn't start till mid year (even though i worked all year) so total compensation for this year will probably be <$50k

question 1:
-----------
Am I eligible to contribute to a solo 401(k)?

- As far as I can tell, I can contribute to a solo 401(k) but NOT a solo Roth 401(k) since only salary and not distributions can go into a solo Roth 401(k)

- There is still a question in my mind because places say you're eligible ONLY if you have NO employees except a spouse. Presumably owners don't count as employees but I'm not sure

- one source says you can have "one or more business partners and no other employees." (which is the case)

question 2:
-----------
How much can i contribute?

To a Solo 401(k) you can contribute:
25% of compensation if incorporated OR
20% of compensation if sole proprietor PLUS
$15,000 of salary deferral
capped at $44k total

Since I have no salary and am not incorporated, I assume I'm limited to 20% of compensation (even though not a sole proprietor)

and it's not actually 20% of the distributions, it's 20% of net income from self-employment, which is Business Income reduced by one-half of self-employment tax paid

question 3:
-----------
How much can I contribute THIS year? (Since I haven't established the plan yet, are there any prorating or timing issues)

I found this:
"For Solo 401k plans only (defined as 401k plans with no non-owner employees and consisting of just a business owner and/or their spouse), you may contribute both the employee contribution (including ROTH contributions) and the employer contribution (profit sharing) up until the filing of your tax return."

Is this correct? So I can wait to contribute the full ~20% of 2007 compensation until april or whatever of 2008?

question 4:
-----------
Any requirements on the other partners?

Do they have to be a member of the same plan?
Do they have to make the same contributions?

one source said there must be same employer contribution for all profit sharing partners

this would completely unfeasible

another source said "It will not be subject to top heavy testing, and the anti-discrimination rules as long as your partners are 5% or greater owners" (which is the case)

which to me sounds like the employer contribution can be arbitrarily set per partner (which is needed)

question 5:
-----------
What happens if employees are hired later?

I think I recall something about the IRS frowning on chopping off benefits when someone is hired, but my memory is somewhat fuzzy on this.

If you only have time for one question, I am most concerned about #4 at the moment.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement