Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is a followup to some previous questions I had in regards to handling some money my minor child earned in 2010.

To recap, child is 1 years old, earned $300 in 2010 (modeling). Currently in a savings account at a local bank earning practically nothing.

I had previously got some recommendations to open a Roth IRA for him, which I tried to do. Unfortunately with only $300 it didn't meet the account minimums of anywhere I tried.

So I am trying to figure out what is the best thing to do with it now.
Do I just leave it in the savings account and let him spend it at some point when he gets older?
Is there another way to get it invested for some long term growth?
Can I combine it with some money of my own and invest it that way for him?

My goals are to get some growth. I also would like to avoid having to deal with filing taxes for him.
Any help would be appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.