Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: OperaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 265  
Subject: Infinite Capital Gains Date: 1/22/2002 4:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
What's my best investment?

Come on guys! Ask something hard.

"A library card!"

At the age of 43 I had to go on long term disability. I had gone three years without working and living on savings. My wife only worked part time. When my insurance was finally settled we had just enough for a healthy down payment on a home. Before that I had never given financial well being a thought.

After transferring my retirement accounts to a stock broker on a friend's suggestion I read the statement: Never invest in anything you don't fully understand. That is exactly what I had just done.

With time on my hands I dove into the public library and read everything I could on personal finance: insurance, budgeting, home ownership, mutual funds, etc.

What are my returns?

1. We only borrowed $40,000 on our mortgage but paid it off in 3 1/2 years saving $18,000 in interest charges.

2. We have zero debt.

3. After reading everything I could about them I discovered mutual funds were not for me and am actively DRIPping and writing about DRIPs for magazines.

4. I learned the ins and outs of the financial world and can put any salesperson/ charlatan on the defensive by asking questions that instantly tell them they are dealing with a FOOL.

5. I learned about resources, like the FOOL, that help me make informed and intelligent choices.

6. I learned enough that, though technically on a pension that is just above the poverty level and starting with a bank account near zero after the down payment, 8 years later my wife and I are in a position to consider buying a revenue producing property.

A library card costs nothing, nada, zero:

Zero divided into any gain is Infinity!

OB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement