Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Paws917 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25214  
Subject: Info Jam! Date: 6/30/2001 11:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband just got into his 401K program at work. He is 40 years old, so we've got a way to go until retirement. Unfortunately, none of the choices for the 401K is an index fund. We've got growth funds, international funds, value funds -- all of the MFS and Putnam families.

I've been researching a bit on the Motley Fool about how to choose a fund when one is forced to and from what I understand, expense ratios and loads are a big factor. I researched all of the funds and got that info on them all. Now, I'm not sure what to do with it. Am I supposed to compare each fund's expense ratios and loads to their returns? If so, am I supposed to use 1 yr. or 5 yr. returns?

What about the turnover rate? Does that factor in anywhere and if so, how do I use it?

I'm also finding that some of the funds with the highest expense ratios are also producing the biggest returns. I know the expense ratios and loads eat into those returns, but when I weigh that against a fund that has much lower expense ratios and loads, but very mediocre returns, it makes the higher one look better.

Also, if a fund is posting a negative return for the YTD, that means that so far, for 2001, it hasn't made any money, right?

Thank you for any assistance anyone can give me! I feel like I have so many pieces of info on all of my available funds, but nothing that really gives me a story or a direction. (As you can probably tell, I'm very new at this!)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Reestablishing the Middle Class
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement