UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35383  
Subject: Ing Bailout Money Date: 10/19/2008 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7679021.stm

I know some folks here have ING accounts. I think they are probably FDIC insured. But Ing is getting Dutch money to stay afloat.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24944 of 35383
Subject: Re: Ing Bailout Money Date: 10/20/2008 8:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Our largest bank account is Electric Orange at ING. We transferred money into it from our Wachovia MMA the weekend their rumors started--and most of that money came from a large matured CD from CapitalOne(!). ING says it's FDIC insured, but I am nervous. And to think I felt safer because it's "diversified" to have some of our stash at a non-American bank.

I'm seeking advice--should I open yet another bank account elsewhere? Will my money be on the run for several months/years? sigh.

ASIDE
It's not bad enough that "they" (from Wall St to the Fed to Congress) took down my stocks, some of my bonds, my CD rates, and home value, and our mutual economy. Now my cash is under attack! grrrrr.

Author: ranshdow Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24945 of 35383
Subject: Re: Ing Bailout Money Date: 10/20/2008 1:08 PM
My brother, once while traveling overseas, asked an ING branch there if there was a way for him to open up an account in euros, linked to his ING dollar account in the US. They told him that linking wasn't possible, the two were completely separate entities, and the only way to do it was with a traditional wire transfer.

That and FDIC coverage suggests to me that the fate of the Dutch parent company and INGDirect here in teh US are somewhat unlinked.

Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24946 of 35383
Subject: Re: Ing Bailout Money Date: 10/20/2008 1:20 PM
Our OH NO! account is at ING, as well as our personal escrow and 4 CDs, all in all totaling $140K. I want to buy a safe, and it seems daily that the size of the home safe we'll need is getting bigger and bigger.....

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24947 of 35383
Subject: Re: Ing Bailout Money Date: 10/20/2008 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
Our OH NO! account is at ING, as well as our personal escrow and 4 CDs, all in all totaling $140K. I want to buy a safe, and it seems daily that the size of the home safe we'll need is getting bigger and bigger.....

I'm sorry I posted the article. Ing's US on-line banking, which I'm pretty sure is what people here use, is FDIC insured. For the moment, that's $250,000 for an individual, double for couple.

If you did Ing overseas, and the country does not provide the same level of insurance, then there could be a problem, but this money from the Dutch government is intended on keeping Ing afloat, anyway.

I do think it is important to keep on top of the news that may affect us. But that doesn't mean you need to panic. Just check the facts.

Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24948 of 35383
Subject: Re: Ing Bailout Money Date: 10/20/2008 3:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
Don't feel too bad. Read the comments on this UK newpaper article. Seems that the UK recent siezed or froze savings accounts at some Kaupthing Isle of Man Icelandic bank. The British account holders are hopping mad.

FDIC insured means you'll have accecce to your money right away.

BTW, avoiding scenarios like this is why I have accounts at several different banks.

Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24949 of 35383
Subject: Re: Ing Bailout Money Date: 10/20/2008 3:12 PM
Oops, forgot to post the link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement