Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35962  
Subject: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/14/2013 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Any Android users tried this game?
http://www.ingress.com/

There's an approval process to create an account, and I just got mine after waiting a couple of months.

The game populates a map of the real world around you with energy items that you can pick up, and portals that you can capture. You can only access these things by walking near them. Among other possibilities, it seems like it's going to help me get some exercise.

I first heard about it via the alt text on xkcd:
http://xkcd.com/1143/
Print the post Back To Top
Author: murdockvdk One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35028 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/14/2013 8:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had not heard of this - but it looks really interesting.

Tom

Author: k1ngmOb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35045 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/23/2013 10:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
I just got my invite into Ingress today. Took "only" a month to get it, lol.

I completed the tutorial missions and then joined the Enlightened, although there seems to be higher numbers within the Resistance. I guess I'm a sucker for the underdogs. As well, I think green on black looks cooler than blue on black.

Once I get some free time tonight, I'll go out for a walk and see if it's possible to hack and link a portal or two near me.

For the storyline behind the game, check out this website:

http://www.nianticproject.com/

You can rewind the story back to November 1 and try to piece the parts of the puzzle together. As simple the game itself looks, an MMO "capture /control the node" concept in real-life, the story behind it looks deep, if not convoluted.

I like the Ingress concept and I also like the way it builds a community within the gamers that play it locally via a chat-bar/progress-report that runs at all times in the background. As well, it also has people finding a use for Google+ for once. :)

Keith...

Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35048 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/25/2013 10:53 AM
Have to say I've been playing only sporadically for now. I'm Resistance, and while we do outnumber Enlightenment players, most of my surrounding area is solid green.

I found that portals in my immediate area are too well reinforced for me to hack most of the time, and there aren't that many of them near my office. So I can't really pick any portals up by walking at work, which is disappointing. The only thing I can do on walks is collect energy, but that doesn't help if I'm maxed.

There is a library with a blue portal near my apartment that I can detour to while driving home from work, but driving there feels like defeating the purpose of using the game as an exercise incentive. I did launch the game one night when I was walking through downtown Austin -- much to the amusement / annoyance of my wife. There are a ton of blue portals in a small area, but unless I make a point of driving down there regularly, I'm not likely to benefit from them.

Author: k1ngmOb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35049 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/25/2013 12:34 PM
If you feel there is a lack of portals in your local area, you can still get out, turn on the GPS on your camera, and submit some new areas to the folks over at Niantic.

Here's a how-to link to the portal submissions guidelines:
http://support.google.com/ingress/answer/2808254?hl=en&r...

And upon waking up this morning and logging into the Intel Map local chat I noticed that at least 3 or 4 fresh new portals had popped up out of nowhere overnight. Pretty cool.

And if you haven't checked out the Ingress Intel Map, it's a must for strategic planning before you head out so you're not walking around blindly... http://www.ingress.com/intel

Where I am, the Vancouver area is pretty much controlled by the Resistance, so as a level 1 Enlightened player, I feel your pain, as I have yet to overtake any portals near me. All I can really do is hack and try to farm whatever drops from the hack, as that's the only way to gain any AP exp points for now. I don't worry about defensive shields draining me of XM exotic matter, as it's pretty easy to regain.

But then again, those new portals are still fresh and barely have any defences on them. One of them has just one level 1 resonator, so it might be worth the trip if I can it there during my morning coffee.

Actually, I might do that right now. :-D

Keith...

PS- Check out this youtube video. It's an Ingress player who is trying to give an overview of some gameplay on location (and learning as he's do so). The best part of the video is near the end when he discovers that he's not alone (real life PvP?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L...

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35059 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/28/2013 7:44 AM
real life PvP?

I just hope nobody gets ganked playing this silly game.

Sounds like the premise for a futuristic sci-fi gang movie.

Draggon

Author: k1ngmOb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35066 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/29/2013 8:46 PM
And boom, the business model behind the free MMO came alive today...

So earlier today, I had some free time to take some pictures around the Yaletown area in downtown Vancouver (an area with only a single portal to play with).

After taking the pics, I ran into a coffee shop to recharge my phone and to submit the locations to the in-game "NIA Special Ops" for potential future portals. And after submitting over a dozen locations, I turned on the Ingress app to check out the local chat, and I noticed a new portal near me, a grey colored "neutral" portal.

And another a few blocks away, and another, and another...

I clicked on the portals to see what was up, and saw that they were all places that ZipCars are located. I grabbed my latte and ran to the first portal and claimed it. Huh, I didn't know they had ZipCars here, I thought to myself.

The same thoughts ran in my head after I claimed my second, third and fourth neutral portals. Location based advertising in action.

And the local Intel chat was going crazy. "Somebody run to Cambie & Smithe!" "Hurry and grab Pacific & Drake before the Resistance gets there!"

Not only were people aware of what was being advertised, but they were RUNNING (if not SPRINTING) to its brick & motar location. Frikkin' genius.

Now imagine if Google sparked a deal with Starbucks or McDonalds.

Keith...

Author: k1ngmOb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35070 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/30/2013 4:28 PM
Google Earth just got a fresh "Tour Guide" update today with over a million user-generated ground level photos from around the world.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3933504/google-earth-tour-...

Could this be a result of all those portal suggestion photos for Ingress?

Keith...

Author: k1ngmOb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35077 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/31/2013 6:15 PM
Free Ingress codes are being given away in a viral campaign called #dropdeadday on Google+. To get the code, you'll have to find it "in real life". Apparently they are giving away 100 codes today in various places around the world...

Hints to the whereabouts are here:

https://plus.google.com/stream/circles/p13122d0f094d7882

It's a longshot, but this is a global forum so there's a chance one may drop right behind :)

Keith...

Author: k1ngmOb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35078 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 1/31/2013 6:36 PM
Whoops, the Google+ hashtag code is actually #deaddropday

Good luck!

Keith...

Author: Markux Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35128 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 2/18/2013 9:31 PM
I've actually been playing since Thanksgiving-ish

(http://boards.fool.com/ingress-30432209.aspx)

and having some fun with it. The battles going on in my neck of the woods
between Enlightenment and Resistance are amusing and fun, and sometimes
quite intense. The amount of portals around here is pretty high, and of
course, there are more cropping up all the time (especially in the days
after the intel got released with the "front" organization for research
being a health-oriented juice purveyor... suddenly, every Jamba Juice has
a portal).

Have mostly been just dabbling, though -- am only level four at this point
-- but have enjoyed finding remote portals that take some hiking to get to.

cheers
.mx.

Author: Markux Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35142 of 35962
Subject: Re: Ingress (Android) Date: 2/20/2013 7:21 PM
Also, in case any of you Ingress players have missed it, there is a new
development going on to increase the functionality of the Intel Map:

http://decodeingress.me/2013/02/08/ingress-tool-ingress-inte...

Some of the add-ins that they're incorporating really kick things up a notch
for playing (not to mention the fact that they finally optimized the Intel
map for display on the smaller sized phone screens).

My guess is that once this game leaves beta stages and goes wild, they'll
be incorporating this either wholesale, by parts, or some facsimile. But
for now, it definitely helps the playability and players' strategy.

Enjoy.
.mx.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement