Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am having a little trouble sorting through the various permutations of invested vs. inherited IRAs, the five-yr option and annuitization. Situation is the following - my brother and I are DBs for a $120K IRA invested with a bank in a CD. We would like to both put the money in a better investment opportunity and maximize the time for taking the distributions. My father died on his 76th birthday, had been taking distributions, and was not recalculating his life expectancy. I am the elder sibling & will be 36 this year.

Previous posts have left me with these questions:

If I take my father's IRA and move it to an account with "Dad's IRA, FBO Me", then I can use the funds in your account to make any investment allowable in an IRA. Can I also maximize the time over which I take the distributions in this case (i.e. Dad's remaining life expectancy + mine) or must I take the distributions over 5 years?

Or is doing a direct trustee-to-trustee transfer required to maximize the time over which I take the distributions in this case? If I do the trustee-to-trustee transfer, how should the name on the IRA read?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.